Any feedback on Wimbledon High or JAGS please?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

estelle

Any feedback on Wimbledon High or JAGS please?

Post by estelle »

Hi

My DD has been offered a place at Wimbledon High and also at JAGS. We love both schools and didn't expect to be in this very fortunate but stressful position of having to choose between them! She is a bright hard working girl at a state primary with lots of interests, sports, music & drama but not super academic. Could anyone with a DD at either school let me know a bit more about life there from the inside?
deskonfloor5

Re: Any feedback on Wimbledon High or JAGS please?

Post by deskonfloor5 »

I've heard mixed things about WHS. A friend who had a dd there has complained in the past about the sport facilities (not a lot on site apparently) and the pastoral care. I think there is a lot of focus on the academics rather than non-curriculum stuff. I can't comment on JAGS though, I'm afraid.
How about other things like the journey? Which is better from where you live?
ElizaBennett

Post by ElizaBennett »

They are a long way apart geographically. Presumably one is considerably more convenient for you than the other. Why not make your lives easier and choose that one? They're both good schools.
estelle

Post by estelle »

Thank you for your insights. We live in Streatham so although JAGS is closer both are a short train journey which would be easy to manage. MY DS goes to Whitgift so we have been through the journey issue once & have found that his huge commitment to & enjoyment of the school makes up for the inconvenience of travelling. I feel very torn as both WHS & JAGS seem to offer a wealth of opportunities & it's difficult to make an informed choice.
Jess

Post by Jess »

My DD is at JAGS and I really can't praise it highly enough.
Academic standards are obviously high but DD doesn't find it overly pressured, and the opportunities for ex-curricular activities are many and varied. I have found the pastoral care brilliant and pro-active, and have been seriously impressed by how well her subject teachers know her when I see them at parents' evening. We were lucky enough to have a number of choices at 11+ but have never once regretted choosing JAGS.

HTH
estelle

Post by estelle »

Jess-thank you very much-that is exactly the sort of info I'm looking for. Clearly you are very happy with JAGS indeed. Do you find that co-curricular activities are open to all abilities? My DD likes all sorts of things but she's not an expert at sport or music & I'm really keen for her to be able to try out new activities without worrying about being brilliant.
Jess

Post by Jess »

DD not sporty at all (either by ability or inclination!) so I really couldn't say on the sport front. One of the things I like,though, is that they put the girls in groups based on ability for Games lessons. So she is with girls of a similar (lack of!) ability and consequently enjoys the lessons far more than she ever did at primary school. She has also improved A LOT which has really boosted her self-esteem. I think having all the sports facilities/playing fields on site also encourages the less-than gifted to get involved in clubs etc

Loads of music opportunities for those who are keen but not necessarily brilliant. Lots of choirs and orchestras/bands, some of which you don't have to audition to join. The girls are really encouraged to get involved. My DD has really enjoyed Music this year but won't be taking it at GCSE. Her music teacher was at pains to say at parents evening that she will be welcome in the music department at any time, even though she'll no longer be studying it.

If there's anything else I can help with, let me know.
estelle

Post by estelle »

Jess-thanks very much for all your helpful feedback. We have been mulling it over very carefully and spoken to other parents with DDs at JAGS. The responses have been very positive and we have decided to take the place. There is no doubt that it will be challenging but will also provide a wealth of great opportunities which our DD is very excited about.
Jess

Post by Jess »

Hi estelle, have been wondering if you'd made a decision. Delighted to hear you've chosen JAGS. Best wishes to your DD, I hope she has a happy and successful time there (I'm sure she will).