HABS -v- Merchant Taylors - how do we choose???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ConcernedDad

Re: HABS -v- Merchant Taylors - how do we choose???

Post by ConcernedDad »

Awesome!

Distance is of course an important factor. Hope your DS will have a great time at Habs!
another mother

Post by another mother »

4 A2s is a lot of work - DD is doing 4, including 3 essays subjects and French. However, a large number of her cohort are doing the same, and they pretty much all have a great selection of offers - in fact Durham is leaning more and more, as far as I hear, to expecting four. have a look on some of the stalking threads on the student room, to see how often it's the norm that students are taking 4. I haven't heard of it counting against anyone, unless and until they miss their offer of course - which could happen yet..

None of her offers (as yet -still waiting on St Andrews) are for 4 though - despite her very high predictions. It's worth researching which courses are likely to ask for four -eg economics does at some unis, I know. I suppose the worry is that this will happen more and more.

Doing four doesn't preclude doing other things either (either in school or out) - but does mean there isn't much down time. Have to hope it's been a good choice, but she wasn't ready to drop anything, esp after very good AS results, and I hope will be better educated as a result!
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

another mother wrote:4 A2s is a lot of work - DD is doing 4, including 3 essays subjects and French. However, a large number of her cohort are doing the same, and they pretty much all have a great selection of offers - in fact Durham is leaning more and more, as far as I hear, to expecting four. have a look on some of the stalking threads on the student room, to see how often it's the norm that students are taking 4. I haven't heard of it counting against anyone, unless and until they miss their offer of course - which could happen yet..

None of her offers (as yet -still waiting on St Andrews) are for 4 though - despite her very high predictions. It's worth researching which courses are likely to ask for four -eg economics does at some unis, I know. I suppose the worry is that this will happen more and more.

Doing four doesn't preclude doing other things either (either in school or out) - but does mean there isn't much down time. Have to hope it's been a good choice, but she wasn't ready to drop anything, esp after very good AS results, and I hope will be better educated as a result!
Is it really true some econ courses ask for 4 A levels? Do you mind saying where?
another mother

Post by another mother »

Sorry if that alarmed you Caroline! I don't know of anywhere that is only asking for 4 - what they are doing in some places and for some courses is to ask for 4 grades - eg A* AAB as an offer. Obviously if you aren't doing 4 they can't ask for that!! And actually I don't think any of DDs friends have been asked for 4 grades, so it's still rare.
Another member will probably be along with more specific knowledge of economics! - but I think her dc has two offers (poss Warwick and Notts?) asking for 4 grades, and 2 asking for 3, including Durham.

But when competition is high for courses, doing 4 may make you stand out.
Durham is giving 3 A2 offers as far as I know - but seems to be offering, if our experience is true, to those taking four, over those taking three, from the same school. The argument might be simply to go to a school where noone takes four!

But I also think it's a reasonable ask for a bright pupil - and in our case was preferable to the EPQ - which some brave souls do too! My OH also pointed that we were paying for the teaching anyhow - given how much contact time will be available at uni, why not take advantage of a last year of small group and hopefully stretching teaching!
delta

Post by delta »

Here I am - another mother! This thread has gone a bit off topic but, yes, dc has 4 offers for economics. Two are asking for grades at all 4 A2s; the other two (including Durham) are only asking for A*AA. But some friends also going for economics and doing just 3 A2s didn't get offers from Durham so possibly confirming another mother's theory! (Dc has also done an EPQ :shock: )
another mother

Post by another mother »

Hello Delta, I thought you'd be along! We really ought to wean ourselves on to the uni section only!

Yes,I was asking DD if she thought it made a difference in terms of who's been offered what and she thinks it does.. also pointed out if she'd moved to Camden she'd have had offers earlier from some places - esp Bristol - and possibly on quite a lot less work..but there you are. She'll be able to ask for a latte as she goes round the Louvre discoursing on 16th art and history... hope it was worth it! (EPQ too! That IS impressive)
Caroline1852

Post by Caroline1852 »

another mother wrote:Sorry if that alarmed you Caroline! I don't know of anywhere that is only asking for 4 - what they are doing in some places and for some courses is to ask for 4 grades - eg A* AAB as an offer. Obviously if you aren't doing 4 they can't ask for that!! And actually I don't think any of DDs friends have been asked for 4 grades, so it's still rare.
Another member will probably be along with more specific knowledge of economics! - but I think her dc has two offers (poss Warwick and Notts?) asking for 4 grades, and 2 asking for 3, including Durham.

But when competition is high for courses, doing 4 may make you stand out.
Durham is giving 3 A2 offers as far as I know - but seems to be offering, if our experience is true, to those taking four, over those taking three, from the same school. The argument might be simply to go to a school where noone takes four!

But I also think it's a reasonable ask for a bright pupil - and in our case was preferable to the EPQ - which some brave souls do too! My OH also pointed that we were paying for the teaching anyhow - given how much contact time will be available at uni, why not take advantage of a last year of small group and hopefully stretching teaching!
Interesting. My eldest son did 4 full A levels and actually I wouldn't recommend it. I think 4 subjects to AS and 3 subjects to A2 is plenty. The upper sixth year is exceptionally busy as they are all doing their UCAS applications and often having to prepare for interviews and other tests. My son is a medic and he had to attend an interview at each of his 4 chosen med schools, all of which required lots of preparation and research, and in some cases overnight stays and a long travel. He also had to sit UKCAT and BMAT which are just as important as A levels. I think Habs have it spot on. Why do 4 exams to A2 when 3 is sufficient? Get them to go and do some interesting things with their spare time, things that will distinguish them from the competion. Things that will make them more rounded individuals.

I'm going to recommend my second son does 4 AS courses and takes 3 subjects to A2.
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Continuing the hijack.

I left DS to do the research on economics, and he says that both LSE and Cambridge look to students taking double Maths at A2 if it is available. Add in Economics and an essay subject (thought desirable by many, presumably less mathematical, courses) and you are up to 4. Obviously if the school does not offer Further Maths Universities don't expect it and three should be enough.

We were advised that Critical Thinking AS is useful when applying for economics, or rather forms a good preparation for the tests some Universities set.
another mother

Post by another mother »

Hi Londonmum- Again I think Delta is your woman for real advice. I have heard that maths and further maths carry a lot of weight and seem to be even more important than economics, if you are going to study economics. dd did critical thinking in GCSE years but opted not to take the exam - the school have dropped it now - I really don't know how much difference it made but she does argue a good point!
Why do 4 exams to A2 when 3 is sufficient? Get them to go and do some interesting things with their spare time, things that will distinguish them from the competion. Things that will make them more rounded individuals

Well maybe because they really like all the subjects and are good at them? Maybe, sadly, because it will give an edge if they are going for uber competitive courses and against others from the same or similar schools, doing 4? Maybe simply because of the education?! I come from a Scottish tradition of highers and a bigger spread in the first two years of uni, and think 3 subjects is quite narrow at 17.

And although I'd agree that this is a tough year in some ways - the whole UCAS and Oxbridge journey is relentless (and that's my big beef!) - DD has not been stuck in her room, slaving till midnight every night (well she has sometimes but that is mostly an aversion to deadlines! :( ) She's out - a lot! She's also editing the magazine, singing the Messiah, qualified for her powerboat licence, holidaying regularly etc etc... she's also spending a lot of time planning what looks like a rather enviable Gap Year, during which time she will be doing things that will make her understand the world in a very different way. (on top of that, tour operator is definitely looking like a career option now!)

As always, it's about what your child, or rather young adult wants - DD could have chosen easier paths but hasn't - that's her. She is ambitious - and pretty clear what she wants. Not sure I would have wanted it - much too lazy - but by this stage really they need to make their own decisions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now