HABS -v- Merchant Taylors - how do we choose???

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
maddad

Re: HABS -v- Merchant Taylors - how do we choose???

Post by maddad »

workhard wrote:Habs is significantly more academic than MTS, for example on A* grades at A level and the quality of Uni faculties joined by its almni.
Significantly sounds a bit strong. In 2011:
Habs 41.9% A*, 84% A*/A, Oxbridge/UCL 23.8%
MTS 32.8% A*, 78.6% A*/A, Oxbridge/UCL 18.3%

Not that different and may reflect nothing more than a slightly different academic ability at intake.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

In 2011 MTS had a higher percentage of A* at GCSE than Habs – 64%+ to 61%+. MTS did better at GCSE in 2010 too, so the moral of the story is to go to MTS from 13-16 then transfer to Habs for A level :lol:

Interestingly, although Habs scores better on A* and As at A level, MTS’ average UCAS points score is higher and MTS is placed higher in most of the overall school league tables.

lara, I should take the sensible view that these are both excellent schools and go with the one which you like the best. :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I thought Habs had a policy of only allowing pupils to study three A'levels. Maybe this has changed but if not then I'm not surprised at their exam results.
maddad

Post by maddad »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:I thought Habs had a policy of only allowing pupils to study three A'levels.
Yes, that's correct and hence why they get slightly lower UCAS scores than some other similar schools.

In my opinion, Lara was correct with her original assertion: "Academic outcome - both pretty much equal, not a factor"
Waiting_For_Godot

I wouldn't want a school that was so prescriptive, doesn't give me confidence in the teachers being that great. My eldest could cope easily with 5 A'levels. Sometimes a less selective school willing to let the very bright do more and the less able do less would be better.
Amber

Post by Amber »

It is not always good to do more A levels - the more you do, the more the universities seem to want. And some of the better ones try to sting children by asking for top grades in their 'soft' or 'different' subject. Personally I think there is a lot to be said for 3 A2s and no more - I would have big reservations about my child doing 4, let alone 5. A very able child can be stretched in other ways.
Waiting_For_Godot

Amber wrote:It is not always good to do more A levels - the more you do, the more the universities seem to want. And some of the better ones try to sting children by asking for top grades in their 'soft' or 'different' subject. Personally I think there is a lot to be said for 3 A2s and no more - I would have big reservations about my child doing 4, let alone 5. A very able child can be stretched in other ways.
Why should an education be so prescriptive though? That's not educating. There will always be children more capable than others and if they can do five A'levels then they should not be hindered because it is unfair to the less able or because a school worries it will affect their other A'level results. What happens in the case of further maths? A child could only study Maths, Further Maths and one more subject - that's not very balanced!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I do see your point and I do kind of agree. But I think that schools stop children from doing it because they know it will make it harder for them to get into university - I have watched this happen to 2 friends, both of whom now dearly wish they had only done 3. I don't think it's because it is unfair on the less able or that the schools are worried about results. I so agree that education shouldn't be prescriptive but this is 21st century England and like it or not (not,in my case, as it happens, and the demise of the IB is a sad issue which would have addressed both our concerns) it is prescriptive. And there are other things to do to show breadth than to churn out more qualifications: voluntary work for one; music, sport, mentoring others, travelling, becoming a brilliant cook - whatever.

Edited to add: sorry, OT. Looks like you have a choice of 2 great schools, and you probably can't go wrong, Lara. :D
Last edited by Amber on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting_For_Godot

My uncle did 9A'levels in the 1960's - when they were hard - and got straight A's. There are some groupings of A'levels where certain children could do them in their sleep - mainly sciences. Essayed courses I'd be less keen on studying more than three.
maddad

Post by maddad »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:What happens in the case of further maths? A child could only study Maths, Further Maths and one more subject - that's not very balanced!
They've thought of that: with Further Maths all four AS courses are continued to A2.