How to choose between NLCS and DAO (unfortunately!)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Birkin

Re: How to choose between NLCS and DAO (unfortunately!)

Post by Birkin »

We were a bit confused about the South Korea 'franchise' too. i think it's been a success (probably very lucrative) so more 'franchises' will be in the pipeline in the future i'm sure but i do think it's a bit odd. I know what you mean about the 'management' feel.

I think Bernice McCabe is meant to be very capable - from memory she's one of the highest paid Heads in the country so she must be good!
aban

Post by aban »

The official line of NLCS on overseas outpost is "franchising overseas is identified by headmistress and governing body as a way to raise income for bursary places here in the UK". I can see more coming in coming years.

Though I am not sure if it will really affect standards a lot - if managed well. Given her experience and expertise, I would not expect the current headmistress to jeopardize the standards of core "operations".
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Shame you did not post this on the Herts section Barnetdad where you would have got comments from members who actually know DAO and what is available. The drama is absolutely outstanding. (as is the Art which you can see reproduced on the website) The Head of Drama writes some of it herself. There is a production coming up in the next couple of weeks which was open audition for anyone from Y7 to Y13. In the past year they have produced King Lear, The Country Wife, The Little Shop of Horrors and a gypsy version of Midsummers Nights Dream written by the Head of Drama. I could have got you some tickets so you could have seen for yourself. As I think you know there is masses of sport and music and just knowing one family who does not take advantage of all that is on offer does not mean that it is not there. I believe my dd's are surrounded by those who are every bit as academic as those at QE and HBS but that is because they chose their friends carefully. There are those who do not participate in the school. We don't see them much because we are too busy! Most importantly to us the school is not restricted to those who have parents who can pay. It is open to anyone who is prepared to work hard enough to get a place there. But if you had really wanted comments from those who knew the school you would have posted in a place where they would read your post. If I was considering the school that your dd was in Y8 at I would have been interested in your comments so I think really your mind was made up and you did not want to hear any response to your opinions about DAO. As you know your place will go to someone who really wants to go to the school. so good luck at NLCS and keep letting us know how it turns out. DG
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

I think I have a good handle on both schools, and if it were down to me, I think it would have been DAO by a whisker. However, DD and DW in particular have been seduced by NLCS - and "have a feeling" that it's the right place. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I suspected as much but thought you probably did not want to say. I will set up an empty chair for you at my DAO picnic this year! Your DW went to a girls indy, so is bound to think they are better. You went to a good comp, so will recognise what is good about DAO. DAO are certainly not in the marketplace. I have a very witty pm from a member about the sales job done on her dd at NLCS. It reminds me of IBM and Oracle versus Microsoft in the 1990's. Microsoft concentrated on creating the best product and not on going out and telling people about it. They missed out on some customers who really should have bought their products as DAO undoubtedly misses out on some great students. I think that is why I like DAO so much because they are so like Microsoft in that respect. But there are lots of great schools and lots of great students and I would much rather see the families who can afford to take up the places they have won through hard work at the private schools and leave the DAO, HBS, QE and Lattymer places to those who really need them. I know dd2 will have a fantastic time at NLCS and do really well. I am looking forward to hearing the insider view from you. How did your school do generally? Anyone coming to DAO this year? DG
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

BarnetDad wrote:I think I have a good handle on both schools, and if it were down to me, I think it would have been DAO by a whisker. However, DD and DW in particular have been seduced by NLCS - and "have a feeling" that it's the right place. I'm sure it'll be fine.

NLCS is a wonderful school which does work hard as well. The girls come out really confident, young ladies. My daughter went there & absolutely loved it.

Go with your daughter's gut feel & she will thrive wherever she goes. Above all children do best in any school if they love it. We had a really difficult decision with our daughter as she had scholarships from Highgate & NLCS (Highgate was much larger) but in the end we went with her gut feel & she absolutely enjoyed it.
Karo

Post by Karo »

@BarnetDad ... just curious ... what have you heard about NLCS gymnastics?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Birkin wrote:...from memory she's one of the highest paid Heads in the country so she must be good!
Like Fred Goodwin you mean? :lol:

I can't really help you I'm afraid, I've never met anyone remotely connected with DAO. I do know a few ex-NLCS girls, all polite, intelligent and confident, but of an earlier generation now so again might not say much of the school at present.

I hope your (DD's,DW's?) choice works out well.
Loopy
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Loopyloulou wrote:
Birkin wrote:...from memory she's one of the highest paid Heads in the country so she must be good!
Like Fred Goodwin you mean? :lol:

I can't really help you I'm afraid, I've never met anyone remotely connected with DAO. I do know a few ex-NLCS girls, all polite, intelligent and confident, but of an earlier generation now so again might not say much of the school at present.

I hope your (DD's,DW's?) choice works out well.

They are still polite, confident & intelligent - have met several recently
Karo

Post by Karo »

Birkin wrote: I think Bernice McCabe is meant to be very capable - from memory she's one of the highest paid Heads in the country so she must be good!
The girls think she is amazing ... and I have to admit I have a bit of a girl crush on her as well! :wink:

She makes it a point to teach all year 7s (at the moment five) for at least one subject (I think it works out one lesson a week).

I have to admit that when DD joined at reception I wasn't to fond of NLCS, her father loved it. We had a choice between Habs, Channings and NLCS, and I loved Channings because I really liked the headmistress. We went for NLCS, and funnily enough the Channings headmistress became NLCS Junior School headmistress that same year. So we both got what we wanted.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now