Can they play catch up?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sj355

Post by sj355 »

And anyone imagining that somehow thier children's selective grammar school, albeit fee free, is not in the same game as a private is deluding themselves.
My pocket begs to disagree with you!! I hope by "game" we do not have another stereotyping or generalising of a considerable chunk of the population (the parents of pupils in grammars and independents) in the make here, do we?
sj355

Post by Guest »

Appeal Mum wrote:
It's a funny roundabout way that some children pronounce the work ASK
Your not saying "some" children should be lumped into a box are you because of the way they write ask?
What about the dyslexics who aren't trying to have "Street cred" just have trouble putting words into the correct order.
I hope you weren’t generalising all children who write aks instead of ask?

AM
Oh dear Appeal Mum :roll: .. no I am not saying that. You will note from my own spelling that I am no expert.
Pronounce, last time i looked, refered to the spoken and not the written.
Some, regardless, is never All.

Post by Guest »

sj355 wrote:
And anyone imagining that somehow thier children's selective grammar school, albeit fee free, is not in the same game as a private is deluding themselves.
My pocket begs to disagree with you!! I hope by "game" we do not have another stereotyping or generalising of a considerable chunk of the population (the parents of pupils in grammars and independents) in the make here, do we?
I am sorry INEX but you yourself applied to both sectors and called a meeting when rejected from the fee paying..your first choice initially I believe. That you saved money and gained an equitable education for your child was good fortune... and please read me if you want to pull me up..I HAD 2 CHILDREN IN PRIVATE SCHOOL. I am not in denial.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

As illustrated by Ali G when he sends up white kids from Staines who have strangely aquired Jamaican accents and can't keep their arms down, or their fingers in non-pointy positions.

Ali G is a graduate of a very distinguished independent school, Haberdasher's Aske's Boys School. He is very much a white boy from a well off Jewish family and his real name most definetely is not Ali G.
His most recent note-worthy persona is Borak...
Another hole in stereotyping, ehh??
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I am sorry INEX but you yourself applied to both sectors and called a meeting when rejected from the fee paying..your first choice initially I believe.
I called a meeting?? :lol: :lol: What meeting was that?

I am sorry but I have never said that I would go for HABS if the choice of QE was up (I am not that loaded to follow my choices regardless). So what is the "game"?
sj355

Post by Guest »

sj355 wrote:
As illustrated by Ali G when he sends up white kids from Staines who have strangely aquired Jamaican accents and can't keep their arms down, or their fingers in non-pointy positions.

Ali G is a graduate of a very distinguished independent school, Haberdasher's Aske's Boys School. He is very much a white boy from a well off Jewish family and his real name most definetely is not Ali G.
His most recent note-worthy persona is Borak...
Another hole in stereotyping, ehh??
Goodness... I know perfectly well who Ali G is. Sacha Baron Cohen graduate of the university of cambridge.
His character Ali G.. is based on a white DJ who speaks as though he were anything but the middle class son of a preacher man that he is.
The irony is missed by many.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

His character Ali G.. is based on a white DJ who speaks as though he were anything but the middle class son of a preacher man that he is.
The irony is missed by many.[/quote]

Not by me. Nor the money that he makes in the process of being...ironic.
sj355

Post by Guest »

sj355 wrote:
I am sorry INEX but you yourself applied to both sectors and called a meeting when rejected from the fee paying..your first choice initially I believe.
I called a meeting?? :lol: :lol: What meeting was that?

I am sorry but I have never said that I would go for HABS if the choice of QE was up (I am not that loaded to follow my choices regardless). So what is the "game"?
I'm sorry.. I thought you said you went to speak to the head to find out the 'mystery' of why your son passed the exam and not the interview. Naturally, you will correct me if I have that wrong.
The fact is that you applied to both private and grammar. Finding either to be an acceptable choice. Had you not got QE and instead got Habs..you would no doubt be arguing the other angle here and now.

Post by Guest »

sj355 wrote:His character Ali G.. is based on a white DJ who speaks as though he were anything but the middle class son of a preacher man that he is.
The irony is missed by many.
Not by me. Nor the money that he makes in the process of being...ironic.[/quote]

so many contradictions.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I was not aware that I was arguing any angle apart from the obvious fact that a grammar school provides a free education and hence fate has saved me 80k or more. I have no "in principle" problems with independent schools (I have also graduated (horrors!) from one myself), otherwise I would have not have applied to such schools.

What is the "game" to which both grammars and independents belong to? This is what I am trying to find out from you.

By the way I am lean (&mean), an academic, a foreigner (more horrors!) graduated an American Independent school and from a rather comfortable family background, totally middle class. What is the stereotype for what will happen to my kid?

No I did not covene a meeting, I just asked them to send me copies of all the information on my son's file invoking the freedom of information of act (data protection). Hence I found out all of the details of his performance.
sj355