Bishop Challoner, Year 7and beyond, Bromley

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Torty

Bishop Challoner, Year 7and beyond, Bromley

Post by Torty »

Would love to hear from anyone with pupils at the senior school, Yr 7 + at Bishop Challoner in Bromley. We had decided on a place for DD for Year 7, at another indie school (which DD really wants and puts as her 1st choice), but we are now looking at other options as her interests have changed.

Are there many financial extras?

Any before or after school clubs?

One other option is to stay with her 1st choice and move her here for Year 9 ... or move from Yr 7, but DD not so keen and wants her 1st choice with a move for Yr 9.

Many thanks :)
cherryo

Re: Bishop Challoner, Year 7and beyond, Bromley

Post by cherryo »

I am also considering Bishop Challoner - they have an open morning on Monday. The website seems to indicate that there are a number of extra curricular activities. Can I ask what your other choices are? We are also applying to Bromley High and Farringtons.
Torty

Post by Torty »

DD really wants to go to Wickham Court.

She has been there for primary and loves it so much and has achieved high grades. We are really pleased with the primary school and Year 6 have achieved a fantastic pass rate - entrance exams for indies and Grammar - Year 7. Few appear to have experience of this school but the Primary School is affordable and terrific and we would recommend.

Senior School:
1st choice Wickham Court
2nd choice Bishop Challenor
3rd choice Bromley High
4th choice Farringtons

Trouble is we would like Bishop Challenor and DD wishes to stay at Wickham Court. We do not want to move her to find she dislikes the move and her work drops from unhappiness. If she will work hard in the school of her 1st choice perhaps she will achieve the same result as if we moved her to our 1st choice.

We are putting DD in for a taster day at Bishop Challenor ... but do not know anyone who goes there to hear what they think of the school.

We do not know what to do!
cherryo

Post by cherryo »

I looked at Wickham Court and think it sounds fantastic but was a bit put off by the exam results. However like you say they must be doing something right if so many primary students have got into grammar. Also it is a mixed ability school so would be unrealistic to expect 100% pass rates. I do feel for you though - it sounds like a difficult decision! I don't think you can put a price on a child's happiness though and where they are most likely to thrive and achieve their individual potential.
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

If you look on the Department for Education website you can see the GCSE results for every subject at every school - divided into how many took each subject, how many achieved A*/A and how many achieved A*-C. It is very enlightening!!

Bromley High is the most academic (and most selective) of the schools you mention. Of the non-selective schools, Bishop Challoner definitely gets the best results. I would be very vary of Wickham Court at senior level however good the junior school is - in 2011 not a single child got A*/A in any subject at GCSE - that is pretty worrying.

My friend's ds is at Bishop Challoner and I know they have a (free!) homework club after school - I don't think there is anything before school at senior level. I am pretty sure she said that most clubs are free but don't quote me on that!!!

Both Bishop Challoner and Farringtons are quite small schools but not as small as Babington House which is tiny. I think you really need a minimum number per year for friendship groups and I would say that 40ish (as per BC and F) is as small as you should go.

Anyway nothing beats a visit - my friend is always bending my ear about how friendly BC is, go and test it and report back! Good luck!
Torty

Post by Torty »

Thanks LazyDaisy ... going to BC Thursday :)
lefol

Post by lefol »

Good luck with your visit on Thursday , I liked Bishop Challoner when we visited and Mrs Barry was very nice, we decided on a school which was more local to us , but I always felt BC would offer a kind and nurturing environment .
Torty

Post by Torty »

Thanks LazyDaisy and lefol ... DD passed the entrance exam and following a taster day DD wants to go there. So we accepted the offer of a place for Yr 7 in September and are off on another of life's journey to see what it brings :D

Would love to meet up with anyone in the Seniors at Bishop Challoner ... or meet up with anyone starting Year 7 in September :D If anyone would like to meet up over the summer holiday please send me a PM :)
LazyDaisy

Post by LazyDaisy »

Congratulations to you daughter, Torty!

I hope she has a fantastic time.
cgs19

Post by cgs19 »

how is the senior school at bishop Challoner ? We are considering it for our DS for year 7.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now