Exams at 9 or 10+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Henrico

Exams at 9 or 10+

Post by Henrico »

Hello
We are considering sitting our DS for private school entry at 9 or 10+, probably 10+, because we've left it a bit late. We looking at KCS in Wimbledon and possibly Whitgift in Croydon. I've looked at past papers on the KCS website and I have a question about the 'composition' element. I hope some experienced person can help :)

It states that the child has to write 'at least 10 lines' on one of three topics given (which could be a story; a description; etc) but I'm not sure what examiners are looking for in those 10 lines. Is it spelling, punctuation, grammar, adjectives, similes, structure? Something else? All of those things? And do they really actually want a lot more than 10 lines? I'm also not sure how much time should be allocated to a composition of 10 lines. There is a comprehension with 10 questions and then this 10 line composition and the whole paper should take 45 minutes.

Can anyone help with these queries? We haven't found a tutor yet - they all seem booked up - so we are anticipating doing a lot of this ourselves.

Thanks very much :)
suzanne

Re: Exams at 9 or 10+

Post by suzanne »

I think they are looking for a piece of creative writing with some original ideas clearly expressed - so all the things you mention, but perhaps the way the ideas are expressed might be more important than spelling?
Henrico

Post by Henrico »

creative writing with some original ideas clearly expressed
I was afraid someone might write that! :lol: I'm not really sure what that means. How do you teach that concept to a child?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Can they tell stories?

You might start it as a game ... tell me a story about.. ?

How would you describe the funniest person / happiest day / a journey / an exciting trip / your day ?

ETA: just found these links.. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... ay-writing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I know it is 11plus but might give some starting points

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... ay-writing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;