Advice much appreciated on headmaster interviews please

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tigger2

Re: Advice much appreciated on headmaster interviews please

Post by tigger2 »

Thanks Cranleigh.....interesting questions- would love to know some of the answers that they got ! A mum told me yesterday that they had just sent their dc for an interview and he was asked to answer a maths question. This dc (was first ever interview- he's in dd's class ) said 'I am sorry I won't tell you the answer'. The head asked him if he couldn't work it out and the dc replied 'yes I can-I know the answer but you have to work it out for yourself otherwise you will never learn how to do it !' She is going to assume the outcome won't be positive....that said the dc in question wrote the answer down to prove that he knew it so there may be hope !

Thank you to everyone who has shared info and experiences....first interview is early next week...so fingers crossed xx
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Keep us posted. Good luck to your child.
dlb

Post by dlb »

My child was asked which countries have you been to ? Which book have you read recently? What would you do if there was no electricity during the day at your house??! Interviews are crazy...!!!!!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I am very much in favour of interviewing as a selection technique. One can learn so much more about a person by speaking with them than just by reading their works.
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
londonmum

Post by londonmum »

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the co-ed schools are also looking for confirmation that children will thrive in a mixed-sex environment. I know of some very bright children who have gained places at what are considered the most selective schools (Westminster, SPGS etc) yet have been turned down by Alleyns or Latymer. And thinking about it, these particular kids probably were better suited to a single sex environment when they were eleven.

For example I heard of one child who was asked why Alleyns was the only mixed school they had applied to, given they said they wanted to go to a mixed school.

Because of the need to manage the ratio of offers and acceptances, I think many schools would be interested in a child who clearly wants to go to their school, and knows why they want to go.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I do think asking a child why it wants that particular school is highly unlikely to elicit anything other than a parent-fed answer; or in the case of the mixed school one, a squirm. Poor kid. :( I think it would be totally fair enough to say 'because my parents applied for it'.

My (low-achieving state primary school) son gained a big scholarship to a not very prestigious but still good enough school (he doesn't go there now) and the Head told us it was because DS was such a refreshing change after all the highly-prepared ones regailing him with tales of tennis trophies, world tours, charity deeds and highbrow literature. Ours, when asked what he liked to do in his spare time, said he liked to play in the garden with his brother and make bridges over the stream. He also said his favourite book was a child's one- some apparently started quoting Shakespeare and the like. Maybe this won't do for the type of school you are looking at, but our 'coaching' of him amounted to 'be yourself and don't try to say anything too clever.'
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Amber - thank you ! Reading your reply and others has made me think that there is,maybe, hope .......I will let you know how it goes !
Teallovely

Post by Teallovely »

Cranleigh wrote:Hope this is useful to others:

The following questions were asked at St. Paul's interviews in January 2012 * What are your ambitions? * Do you have any siblings? * The Battle of Hastings happened in 1066, it is 2012 now. How many years ago did this war happened? * What time is it half way between 11 0'clock and 3:22? * Describe this picture [window looking out onto a landscape] * If you could save anything from your house(not pets or people), which three things would you take? Hint: don't take any electronics.
This is very helpful- and useful too. Can anyone share a little about the Eltham college entrance tests at all? Is it like the 11+ at all? Pls share if any of your DS has been interviewed there or taken the tests. I just got the prospectus and I am interested in it as well. :)
lefol

Post by lefol »

Hi,

Ds1 is at Eltham College and took the exam two years ago. They are tested in maths , English and verbal reasoning . The verbal reasoning score is used to assess the child if they score low in English . They take about 30-40 from the junior school and another 35 from external applicants . CGP books are good for the maths and English prep and so are the bond maths , verbal reasoning and English books as well as the GL assessment . As for the interview , the kids are interviewed by one of the teachers and not usually the Headmaster . If successful , parents are interviewed by the Headmaster . The interview is really to see if you want the school and if it is your first second or fifth choice and he also gives you an indication if your son is likely to be offered a scholarship. You also get feedback on the test results . The exams are in January and they are interviewed on the same day , if all goes well, you are called back for a taster morning and to meet the Headmaster . Good luck !
Mookiemum

Post by Mookiemum »

Hi lefol,
I am new to write in this forum, can I ask you is your ds happy with eltham college? I have been told by the head teacher, my ds will be offered a place with a good scholarship. Compare to dartford grammar, what is your advise? Thanks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now