surrey/berkshire/outer london schools, independent, state

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: surrey/berkshire/outer london schools, independent, stat

Post by Amber »

I am no expert on the process, 12-, and because your son has been in private education it seems he has not had automatic access to this as he would in the state sector. Statementing certainly includes recommendations for provision, and any school taking a child with a statement is obliged by statute to make the provision recommended in that statement.

Check out http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Sch ... DG_4000870" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you would need to contact your LEA initially to find out how to go about this; but I can't see why you would not have the same rights as anyone else.

Regarding a school 'not being very keen to help', well perhaps that tells you something about what their attitude to your son as a pupil would be?

Sorry not to be more use- there are regular posters on here with experience of this- I suggest a post in the SEN area. :D

Good luck.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hello 12-! ... It is not too late..... It is never too late for our children!

I have worked in SEN, including with ASD boys. You can PM me if you want. I will try to help in any way I can.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Which was your nice but dim school? If it was Reeds, maybe give it a second chance. It used to have that reputation but has done incredible things recently. I know boys with various needs - from very bright to specific special needs, who are all settled well there and thriving superbly. As many boys got into Oxbridge from their last year as got in from Hampton.

My DC are fairly geeky academics, but I wouldn't rule that school out. What I loved about it when we looked round (apart from its fab grounds and state of the art DT suite :D ) were the pastoral care and the fact that whatever a pupil is interested in, they encourage. Boys who love drama are off doing parts in West End plays, for example. There was no tutting that school exam results might dip as a result of time spent away from class. They seem to care more for the boys than for their own reputation. It may not be massively academically rigorous, but it is worth a look.

if it isn't the nice but dim school you were referring to, then, hey, how about Reeds?
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

We have been recommended Reeds by several people.

It ain't cheap (not sure if discounts are available?). Have yet to visit, open day November I think.

Nice but dim was King Edwards, Witley.

I read that St John's is stronger on maths + science, which would be a plus for us.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looks like Reed's keep their bursaries for pupils one parent families with social and financial need who need to board. No mention of bursaries for others - though some scholarships.

You can always ask to visit places outside open days - I found you got a much better view of the school and can ask lots of questions. These school you ultimately choose is going to be getting £100-150k off you over the next 7 years so will try quite hard to attract you, and in an area with some choice of schools should be keen to show people round. :wink:
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Reeds seems pricier but much is included in their fees. I think school lunches are included, as are most clubs. And their day is far longer as buses don't leave school until about 5pm, so effectively, all childcare costs are covered for working parents too. They get home by six, all prep having been done at school while they wait for the bus, physically exhausted from having romped around playing fields half the afternoon, with nothing to do but have fun all evening. There's a lot to be said for that. The other schools we're looking at get home earlier with mountains of homework for us to stress over! :wink:

I like Reeds. It's on our list.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good point about what is included in fees - those who include lunches / books / exam fees / after school stuff / transport to swimming etc etc often look more expensive but actually are just being more honest. get less of a surprise when the next terms bill arrives and last terms "extras" are not quite so eye watering as some schools
harrow123

Post by harrow123 »

twelveminus wrote:We have been recommended Reeds by several people.

It ain't cheap (not sure if discounts are available?). Have yet to visit, open day November I think.

Nice but dim was King Edwards, Witley.

I read that St John's is stronger on maths + science, which would be a plus for us.
12-: Did you think about Leighton park school in Reading

It is co-ed, they offer y7 onwards to A levels. Their fee is high but includes prep,breakfast,lunch, supper, prep and many afterschool/lunch time clubs also. Looks like locally it has got a good reputation. They offer flexi/weekly/full boarding also. on average they have 3 games sessions (each game session is nearly 2 hours) every week. Academic results are not bad

Your title says indie in Berkshire hence suggesting
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Have read a little of Leighton Park. It gets good feedback, but it seems like it's for the artier child rather than the maths geek.

Six hours of games, not sure if that's a plus....
RubyChewsday

Post by RubyChewsday »

I thought I'd add my little opinion.

OP has your son's prep school ever suggested an Ed Psych report? How are they supporting him at present? An Ed Psych report will benefit your son as it will list what kind of support will help your son to achieve in education. The cost isn't cheap, however, school fees are not cheap anyway & so for me it was worth paying for. I paid £500 in total for my two children, but the other quote was £900! Absolute joke, but I would have paid that as what it gave my children was enormous. The cost will be higher now as this was a few years ago.

I see you want to move your son in year 7? My son stayed at his prep for those final two years & he matured both physically & intellectually in that time. He also gained in confidence because of the learning support offered freely by his school. He took common entrance papers in year 9 & chose a non selective senior school because he loved its quirkiness. He had also scored highly enough to gain a place at his back up selective school. My son is a very bright lad who struggled with English, spellings, organisation & short term memory. (He's dyslexic), yet he achieved A*, A & B grades at GCSE & is now studying 4 AS levels at a state selective sixth form.

When looking at senior schools, we made sure SEN pupils were respected as much as those who don't need any extra support. I'd run a mile if a school wasn't prepared to answer my SEN questions! Don't dismiss non selective schools because you may be dismissing the right school for your child. There are selective schools which cater for SEN & as I said, my son's back up school were happy to accept him. I don't think they would have been so welcoming if his needs were more severe.

I would seriously recommend you get that Ed Pysch report as many senior schools will demand it anyway. They'll want to know what they are dealing with before suggesting if it's the right school for your son. Quick add, you don't need to pay out for further reports as your son ages. They can be adjusted by his school. Hope this helps & all the best with your search. I'm sure you'll find the best fit for your son.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now