surrey/berkshire/outer london schools, independent, state

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
twelveminus

surrey/berkshire/outer london schools, independent, state

Post by twelveminus »

Any thoughts? Son currently Y6 of prep school, Surrey. He's clever but not good at writing essays.

We would like to move him in Y7, but have been very lax and only just started considering senior schools.

Thought about grammar schools, one that does maths, verbal reasoning, non-verbal but no essay would be good. But obviously too late for that.

We are not in catchment for any good state 'comprehensive', though we are planning to move house whatever happens, but I guess that doesn't open many options really.

Still school shopping at independents, we tried a 'nice but dim' school, it was indeed nice but rather too dim I think, I wonder if anyone knows some academic independent schools where he might be able to get in on the basis of maths, verbal reasoning + non-verbal reasoning, preferably without the nasty essay-writing business...
Reading Mum

Re: surrey/berkshire/outer london schools, independent, stat

Post by Reading Mum »

Reading Bluecoats does test English but it's split between comprehension and essay.
Tbh I think you might struggle to find an Indie that doesn't test English writing
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Ah, he's not very good at comprehension either. :lol:

Good at spelling though. :P

Was hoping to send him somewhere academic, but not sure how it's going to work as he's only a C student for English.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

What was the original plan, 12minus?

Is he able to stay at his prep through year 8? Has head mentioned any suitable schools to you ?

I suspect it will be tricky to get very academic places without reasonable English - however I suspect he can improve with practice.

I was like your son, could always spell (just see the word and remember it) but any writing etc was dire - but reasoning / maths etc was fine. Answer was that the English just had to be worked on.. still not great but got B at O level which as enough and better than my Latin. :oops:
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Yes he can stay on till year 8, but we're not keen to do so, would rather he start at Y7, he's not really a prefect/head boy type for the current school, so it seems better to move on, also the assessment at 13 doesn't seem any easier than at 11, not by any means.

I am half-wondering how much impact he could make on his English in advance of say, 12th January (RGS exam date).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have seen children make astonishing progress in creative writing given the right guidance. You have three months which is a whole term. Has your prep school offered any extra support? Being able to write clearly will be very important in almost all subjects at secondary school so you really need to get some focus on it. How is the English teacher? DG
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

He has ASD so it makes things trickier in terms of learning, but I think you are right, he can certainly make progress.

We are speaking to Head this week about schools, so will hopefully get some ideas where we should be looking.

No idea about the English teacher really.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Does he have a statement for the ASD? Presumably this would affect creative writing and comprehension. I don't know much about independent entrance exams and I suppose they can make the rules up as they go along, but a state school would have to take special needs into account in its access and entrance policies. And indeed in its provision for him. Might be worth looking at it from that angle - if the English issues are related to the ASD, which in my experience sounds very likely, especially with the good spelling to boot.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

RGS do have a section related to special needs in the section on admission- indicates that essays etc will be reviewed by the special needs teacher etc.... can't remember what else it said, and this computer won't let me open the prospectus (thanks NHSnet :roll: )
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Yes English difficulties definitely related to ASD.

I asked about this at Hampton, they didn't seem very keen to help, they said 'you can get extra time' but I said that wouldn't really help, then they said something about getting an ed psych report.

Any idea how much this would cost, and if useful to get an idea of his ability/school type that he should go to?

Too late to consider state schools now I think - we're not in catchment anywhere wonderful.