What level should a DD be at roughly to sit the 10+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
agathachristie

What level should a DD be at roughly to sit the 10+

Post by agathachristie »

Help please, considering DD for the 10+ and wondered whether anyone can give me an idea where their DD's were academically ( in terms of levels) when they took the exams ... Many thanks In advance
NorthLondonMum

Re: What level should a DD be at roughly to sit the 10+

Post by NorthLondonMum »

I think we need to know which school(s) to provide a meaningful answer, but in my limited experience I would expect them to be already working at level 5 or above in some areas for a test in January of Y5.
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

Thanks for replying Northlondonmum, considering Whitgift and Trinity
estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi agathachristie

My DS is at Whitgift although he did the entrance exam in Year 6. He was high level 5 in year 6 so I don't think they would expect more than low level 5 in Year 5. They have sample papers on their website to give you an idea. Other interests are really important though, sport, music etc etc-they really like boys who are active & have plenty to talk about. We couldn't be more pleased with the school & our DS is really happy.

Good luck!
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

Hi Estelle, thank you for your reply. Have looked around the school and loved it, DS is also quite keen ... Just wondered what the competition is like at the 10+ stage. Have looked at their sample papers... Thanks
estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi agathachristie

They only take 2 classes of boys on for year 6 but I think applications are much lower so competition not as great as at 11+. Two of my friends' DSs started in Year 6 & it's a great introduction for the boys as there are only a few of them plus they get a fantastic bonding trip to Lake Garda. Once the other boys join in Year 7 they are all mixed up to there is no cliqueyness. HTH
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

Hi Estelle thank you so much for all the info.... Whitgift is top of our list and hoping that he gets through the exams.. What year is your DS in now?
estelle

Post by estelle »

Hi agathachristie

My DS is in Year 10 so just starting GCSEs. He is very happy at school, works very hard and is busy all the time with sport, music and Duke of Edinburgh award as well as exchange visits and other trips. It's a school for boys who enjoy living life to the full and making the most of every opportunity. If you have specific questions, you are welcome to PM me.