Girls Indies Middx, Herts, Bucks

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
instantsunshine

Girls Indies Middx, Herts, Bucks

Post by instantsunshine »

Hi - anyone any experience of St Helens, Northwood College, Royal Masonic or (in the other geographical direction) Berkhamsted? Just wondering what they are like from an insiders point of view ie how academic, sporty, pastoral care etc. Have visited all & liked each in different ways. DD is both academic & sporty so also wondering about scholarship prospects / criteria at each school (any info beyond the prospectus gratefully received). We wouldn't qualify for a bursery but would struggle with full senior school fees - hence NLCS not an option, though probably too far away anyway. Loved Habs too but also too tricky to get to & from (not on a coach route) so have ruled out. Thanks in anticipation.
daisyduke

Re: Girls Indies Middx, Herts, Bucks

Post by daisyduke »

I can only speak for RMS - we are so happy with the school. Our DD is not hugely academic, so St Helen's was out, but RMS have got her working absolutely up to her potential. They really bother to find out what your daughter loves, and then she flies. So our DD's academic work is her best possible, and she's excelling in art, DT, and trampolining (who knew?!). Mix of girls seem lovely, a variety of backgrounds and wealth, but not a racial mix.

Sorry I don't know about scholarships, other than you can try for sport, academic, music or all-round. Academic isn't a separate exam, they just cream off the top of the test results. The others are held over a separate day and our DD had a brilliant time doing all her fave things. Didn't get one sadly!

No one is ever asked to leave RMS to aid their league tables, in fact they love taking girls from super selective indies and rebuilding their confidence. And certainly the academic girls get all A*s, having kept their sanity and a broad range of extra curricular skills too. No one I know has ever talked about needing a tutor. Girls aren't compared against each other, but against their own personal best. Facilities are jaw dropping. Hope some of that's helpful.
instantsunshine

Wow - thanks for speedy reply! Really useful information - so much better to get details from a parent than speeches at Open Days.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

RMS has quite a good all-round reputation. I know a couple of girls that have been at St. Helen's and their parents have been pleased with it. Also the head at St. Helen's is th forer Deputy Head at Habs and is very good.

I personally wouldn't touch Berkhamsted. Our daughter was offered a place, but we had already decided we wouldn't take it. Two friends of mine sent children there and pulled the younger ones out at the end of Year 11 because they were disappointed with the school and worried about the sixth form.

Roughly where do you live BTW.
instantsunshine

Thanks Sallyltb - very helpful - we're Herts / Bucks border (just in to Bucks) hence have ring fenced those Indies. Want to try & generate choices as no guarantee with Bucks 11 plus & with Indie deadlines for registering coming up petrified I'll miss them. V interested in what you said about Berkhamsted (not least as registration fee is a whopping £200 :!: )
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now