Independent School's lack of interest

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
concerned mum

What school is best

Post by concerned mum »

We bought the Good Schools Guide and it's the best thing we did. They don't just rave about schools, they quite often criticise or you can tell they don't like them reading between the lines. You can often also tell whether the style of a school will sort your child- ie sporty, extrovert, quiet. It's mainly independent schools but some good grammars too. We got some inside- uncensored!- information about certain schools from teachers and close friends and the comments in the Guide seemed pretty accurate- both good and bad. I'm not selling it- honest!- but we found it really helpful and hope others may too.
jazzy

Post by jazzy »

Very interested in reading all your comments. Both my sons went to a very pushy prep school who every week without fail would manage to get a few extra quid out of us for something, but the eldest was dubbed dyspraxic by them, was constantly put down and I was told he needed help and was bottom of the class. His confidence suffered terribly and the school frequently handed out prizes and certificates and he did not EVER win. They would sent many children for "psychology tests"then when the reports came in would ask the parents to remove the child as he or she had special needs and they could not deal with it. In reality these children were just not the sharpest tools in the box. So i removed them of my own accord when they were in year3 and year 1 and sent them to the local primary. Confidence rose amazingly and the dyspraxia miraculously disapeared.. he was suddenly top of the class! Granted he has picked up some dodgy language (!) but last week I found out he passed the 11 plus in 2 boroughs and has got into one of the top schools! Thrilled to bits. fingers crossed now for my youngest.

Post by Guest »

Hi all,
Iam the quest who posted the thread on the 22nd of aug.My child also passed the 11 plus ! and we will be happily leaving the independent school this july.They were so shocked and we told them 'our' good news,the head now says he knew my child had the ''potential'' yeah right .am just so glad we're leaving and don't have to put up with the rude head anymore! nor the fees!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's great news guest - hope you will name and shame the school once your child has left.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi guest

I am glad to hear that your child passed the 11+ and that you are able to leave such a difficult and confrontational situation with the current school.

There are private schools who work hard to listen to parents and there are others. I was interested that a recent newspaper article on private schools suggested that "customer care" was a very important factor in parents' perceptions of private schools. Private schools have no excuse not to get it right as often as is humanly possible.

How great not to have write out that cheque every term!

Sally-Anne
[color=#FFFFFF][size=50]http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk[/size][/color]
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Well done to you and your son Naina

Great result!

Footymad xx.
yic1

Independent Schools Lack of interest

Post by yic1 »

I would like to say that it is sad that so many have had bad experiences in the Independent sector. I have two children in the same school, one just about to take GCSEs and the other in Year Six. Both are very happy rounded children who love the school that they are in. My youngest child has a grammar school place, but really does not want to leave the school, as she is very happy and has been allowed to flourish in a caring environment where the pastoral care is excellent.

Both children are very different. My eldest has dyslexia and has been very well supported and cared for since he was diagnosed. The teachers have been excellent, and he is maturing into a sensible young man who is self reliant and has a positive sense of self. He is also caring, empathic and reflective - positive qualities promoted by the school.

My daughter is very different - a high achiever who has won the scholariship for the school this year. The senior head has already engaged with her and said that he wants her to help others who are due to start at the school and represent the school in a number of ways. She went to the the junior school when she was six and my son started at eleven. Both were supported in fitting in to the school environment and although it may not have all the equipment other schools have (including the state Grammar Schools we have looked at) the pastoral care and generally caring environment has allowed both my children to reach their full potential. I have no complaints and would highly recommend the school to anyone. The heads and teachers are excellent and the school feels like one big happy family. We originally fell on the school by chance, but sending our children there was the best decision we ever made.
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Dear yic1

Glad your experiences are all positive,are you able to name the school or what area you are in.
NKM
yic1

Independent Schools lack of interest

Post by yic1 »

Hi Northkentmum,

We live in North Essex and the school is Friends School in Saffron Walden in Essex. It is a quaker school, but children from any denomination can go there. It has both day pupils and boarders. We would highly recommend it, and they are always happy to speak to people, show you around etc.

Kind regards,

yic1

Post by Guest »

So is your youngest child going to stay at her private school? and if so..when are you likely to free up the grammar place?