Channing number of applicants versus places?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fairyelephant

Channing number of applicants versus places?

Post by fairyelephant »

Does anyone have any idea of the figures for Channing? Its our favourite but I know that for many its a second choice. I'm kind of hoping that only about a third of applicants really want it...In my head I think its about 60 places for outsiders from about 500 applicants? Does that sound right?
NorthLondonMum

Re: Channing number of applicants versus places?

Post by NorthLondonMum »

60 places (80 including from Fairseat) is correct, I think.

No idea about the number of applicants, it was certainly busy on exam day. It's so hard to tell with consortium schools and I didn't think to ask the head at the interview.

Perhaps someone who has yet to be interviewed can ask!
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Just read your other post fairy elephant - totally understand the nail biting and like you Im rather in awe of these very prepared prep school kids - I was clueless as to what level my DD was and where she actually stood a chance of getting in..... Given yours got a City interview, I think you stand a very good chance at Channing.... as you say second choice for many (whether cos single sex or not City/NLCS/et al)... and a fabulous school with very happy girls which gets great results and if its on your doorstep, even better! Really good luck to your DD... all fingers crossed.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks NorthLondonMum and loveyouradvice, as always there to calm me down!
You are right NorthLondonMum, it was mobbed on exam day. However, having taken DS to see CLSB last term, I was struck by the Admissions guy saying that out of all the boys who sit the exam, by their reckoning there are only 2.5 boys who really want each place, for the rest they are second or third choice. That must be the case here, surely. Fingers crossed, as you say loveyouradvice!