Anyone's DD taking the SPGS 11+ exam on Jan 8?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vnmomma

Anyone's DD taking the SPGS 11+ exam on Jan 8?

Post by vnmomma »

Is she ready?
mad?

Re: Anyone's DD taking the SPGS 11+ exam on Jan 8?

Post by mad? »

Hi vnmomma

I don;t I'm afraid but thought I'd reply in the absence of others (who I am sure must be here :wink: ). IME the answer to your question will be 'I don't know', 'I hope so' or 'I don't think so'. Good luck and don't panic, at this stage what's done is done. :D
mad?
MAZER66

Post by MAZER66 »

SPGS entrance exam is a very, very tough exam, and a very high percentage of those children will be scholars in most other schools and competition is fierce. There is very little you can do now, so just reassure her and, in my opinion, just let her relax over the next couple of days as what will be will be.
and BEST OF LUCK TO YOUR DAUGHTERxxx
vnmomma

Post by vnmomma »

Mazer66, given that you are a tutor, do you have any idea what would be considered a "competitive" percentage, i.e. qualify for an interview, for the maths, english and comprehension papers? Any colours on the competitive pool of candidates this year? Thanks in advance.
MAZER66

Post by MAZER66 »

vnmomma wrote:Mazer66, given that you are a tutor, do you have any idea what would be considered a "competitive" percentage, i.e. qualify for an interview, for the maths, english and comprehension papers? Any colours on the competitive pool of candidates this year? Thanks in advance.
Sorry, vnmomma, I have no inside knowledge into the SPGS talent pool (by the way, my musings are purely personal, annectdotal and not evidence based). I would like to make it clear that I am fairly new to this forum and although I have some experience of GL based grammar school entrance in the Trafford area, I am quite naive about the Indie process and it would be mis-leading for people on this forum to think I am some kind of authority on these matters, there are , thank God, some very experienced contributors on this forum that can give more objective advise!!

However, SPGS has approximately 52% of candidates obtaining places at either Oxbridge or UCL as per FT rankings 2012 (which is even higher than that of Westminster School) and I think that speaks volumes of the potential of the candidates they accept.

If she is at a feeder prep school, the school should be able to give the information that you require. If she is at state school, then there is no harm in asking the registrar directly for the information that you want. (remember they are supposedly a charity and have a moral duty, if not a statutary one(!) to allow state maintained children to have an equal "playing field " as their over prepped independent comtemporaries , so don't take any s--- from them , and if you feel you would not be vociferous enough for that, PM me and I will do it on your behalf!! I've already had this confrontation with WGS , and yes ,they saw it my way in the end) Once again, best of luck.
nonethewiser

Post by nonethewiser »

I don't think DD was ready but too late to do anything by then. I left her with a lump in my throat! She had a fab day at the school today if nothing else - pasta and baked apple with vanilla custard for lunch! She left chunks out of the comprehension and said Maths was OK, nothing tricky. Worked too slow through English and left questions out too. Oh well... I did see a little girl in tears on the way out too, hugged tight by mummy though. :D
vnmomma

Post by vnmomma »

My DD also didn't finish the Comprehension portion of the exam; she thinks she answered 85% of the questions. She was too nervous to eat during break and lunch. She thought Maths and English were easier than expected.

I think she was as ready as she'd ever be but she was still nervous. So was I. Felt like I was taking the exam today myself. One down, 2 more to go.

I can't believe they are making us wait until end of February for final offer letter. Wouldn't it be better to let people know before half-term so they can enjoy the break one way or another?

Good luck, everyone! Would love to find out how other DD thought about the exam.
W14mum

Post by W14mum »

My DD sat too. I foolishly thought second time around it gets easier (having gone through the similar process with DS two years ago)...
Anyway, she came out fairly happy - had a nice day, enjoyed lunch and the games; felt comfortable with English (I had thought this was her weak point?); maths ok-ish (part C she is not sure how much she understood:-?) but at least one over, three to go... Good luck to all :-)
Oschi

Post by Oschi »

My DD thought it was altogether very hard, especially the maths paper and part C.