Quick question about Reeds exam yesterday

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2outof3

Quick question about Reeds exam yesterday

Post by 2outof3 »

Hi all

DS sat the Reeds exam yesterday (Surrey) which apparently was ok (stock answer to everything :roll: )

One thing that did confuse me though was that the deputy headmaster before the exam said that the boys were not expected to finish the NVR paper and not to be surprised when they didn't. Of course when DS came out I asked if he finished the NVR and he said yes and that there were only 40 questions in 50 minutes. I immediately thought he must have missed half the questions as we are used to the GL type of 80 questions in 50 minutes so was very surprised that the deputy thought that 40 questions would be difficult in that time.

Have I missed something? DS assures me that the answer sheet only went up to 40 and so he couldn't have missed any out :shock:
expatmum

Re: Quick question about Reeds exam yesterday

Post by expatmum »

This won't really help. My DS also sat this exam and said it was 'fine' - stock answer to it all! I'll ask him about the NVR and VR when he gets home from school - see if he can shone some light on it.....
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Thanks Expat. Not that it really matters now, I suppose, as we can't change anything, but if DS has really missed out 50% of one paper then at least we can exclude that school from the equation and just carry on fretting about the others...... :D
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

I don't think Reeds is supposed to be all that challenging, so perhaps they just said that for the benefit of the less able candidates.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I think the head got his NVR and VR papers mixed up. It was the VR that they didn't all finish, as there were 80 questions in around 40 minutes, whereas NVR was 40 questions in 50 mins and according to DS the entire group he was placed with were sat twiddling their thumbs having finished NVR early.

VR on the other hand didn't get finished by lots of boys.

Hope that clears it up.
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Thanks Menagerie,

That would make a lot more sense :D
expatmum

Post by expatmum »

Yep - that's right. My DS said that there were 80 Qs in VR and 40 in NVR. At first he said there were 20 so I nearly had a k'niption. But then he explained there were 2 sections of 20 in the NVR - phew......

Anyone had any results yet? We're still waiting for all of them to trickle in. In our case I think no news is not good news :(
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Heard nothing so far, expat. Are you trying for the Surrey schools too?

I know of a few people who have had their Hampton interview already but according to the info sheet that's the scholarships, which we weren't aiming for. Just hoping we hear soon.
expatmum

Post by expatmum »

Waiting for all of them. Hampton, KGS and Reeds - not applied for any scholarships just the regular spaces..... I'm clearly not very patient :?
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

Join the club - i think i have no more patience left at all for the rest of my life! Today actually found i rather look forward to my work day full of long and intense meetings as these keep my mind off the torturous wait!