Why is one school "less academic" than another?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

countrymum

Re: Why is one school "less academic" than another?

Post by countrymum »

I have what I consider a 'bright but lazy' one. She soaks up information like a sponge and is quick to learn, indeed school have told me she is not happy if she doesn't give 100% to her work. But she can be a little lazy, and throughout this journey getting her to motivate herself at home to prepare for her GS exams has been frustrating at times. Perhaps because she works hard at school having to do more 'school stuff' at home is very tiresome for her? Anyway this indie exam we have coming up, she shall walk in really not knowing what to expect at all and I guess we've all been a bit lazy in the house preparing for this one. Even though I believe myself to have an academic DD knowing her and her personality I believe she would 'shine' yet hopefully still be stretched where a school is not just driven by results, or boast about which university's 'Jonny' or 'Jane' go off to. Her happiness is paramount for me, I do wonder if all this push, push, push for results could be too much for her even. I agree with a poster who says finding that 'right' school before they go is the tricky bit!
nothing-yummy-mum

Post by nothing-yummy-mum »

Thank you for the thought-provoking thread. I have seen (on another, older thread and possibly another discussion group) long discussions and even heated arguments on "1st tier" and "2nd tier" and "3rd tier" selectives. Some of the comments were quite condescending and, frankly, snobbish. I was shocked that our preferences were dismissed as "3rd tier". These are selective schools and in my opinion they are very academic and competetive. I would consider my DS to be exceptionally privileged to gain a place there - he will be the first one in the family to go to a selective school. The exams have certainly been anything but a walk in the park. It has been an immense relief to get an interview next week and I am very nervous as to whether he'll get in.
If it is this stressful to get into one of our so-called second-rate preferences, DS, DH, DS2 and I would certainly not have survived the process if we had applied to one of the "top schools" - and we would certainly not fit in either even if by some miracle DS managed to drag his scattered brains into said elite environment.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Nothing yummy - I didn't see those threads but can imagine what you mean. I got info from St Pauls early on, and they say, very bluntly: if you enjoy playing video games, St Pauls is not for you. They like boys with no Off buttons. One of Mr DC would thrive there. The other would melt into a weepy puddle on day 1.

I have noticed that there is a lot of levelling out. Whether they bust a gut or just do the work to a reasonable standard, the results are pretty similar.

Of course in their chosen field they need that extra push, but overall, I'd truly rather my DS had fun and got a b in Geography and German than that he got solid A*s in subjects he cares nothing for and nursed an adolescent ulcer.
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

I'd echo this menagerie ... DD tutor keen she applied to St Pauls.... we were keen she didn't!

Yes, great potential academically but she's a dreamy imaginative child and we want to give her space to indulge this side of herself and not have to grow up too soon!
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Loveyouradvice, I was very dreamy and only ever excelled in subjects I was naturally good at. Put no effort at all into anything else. Not ideal, but it got me a long way: into Oxbridge, good degree, job I love, good pay. No reason they have to be all singing, all dancing at every level. I'm slightly nervous of schools that require that level of all-round application. It's a bit nose to the grindstone. I want them to be boys too, get muddy and mess about in boats, daydream, and have the occasional innocent romance before they have the pressures of adult life.

I just wish I could find a school that was the perfect balance. Academically rigorous but not a hothouse.
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Menagerie - wouldnt that be wonderful!! My perfect school for DD... and just aiming to find the closest we can to it!
MAZER66

Post by MAZER66 »

" Why is one school "less academic" than another?"
because that's what the league tables state?- have a brighter intake (simples) :o
but "why does one school add more value (CVA) then another ?"is a better and more important question.
Discuss :?
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

100% agree... and this isnt published for private schools so almost impossible to evaluate!!!
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

To a lesser or greater extent (your choice) a bright child is part of the marketing for an independent school. CVA is the crux and it is interesting that this is not published by independents though, having been to independents myself, I would concur that much of the value they can add is not measured in the standard CVA calculation. As a parent your own CVA calculation should try to evaluate what areas your child would most benefit from having enhanced and which school targets that area effectively as well as providing the type of environment in which your child will feel comfortable enough to take advantage of that opportunity and hence thrive. It's a headache for sure.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

MAZER66 wrote:" Why is one school "less academic" than another?"
because that's what the league tables state?- have a brighter intake (simples) :o
but "why does one school add more value (CVA) then another ?"is a better and more important question.
Discuss :?

I have some thoughts about the value added ... DD did some tests in the first term of year one which gave her her targets - they were loopily low and immediately (and for every term after) she exceeded them. we kept muttering about this to teachers but no avail, getting rather fed up at being told "she has acheived her targets" :? .... those were the targets. eventually she ended up being setted for maths .. top set teacher couldn't quite get her head round why she had one kid with such low "targets"...

Anyway they were redone and wow what an improvement !!! Now doubt huge number of marks on the school CVA
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now