Why is one school "less academic" than another?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Re: Why is one school "less academic" than another?

Post by KS10 »

I have heard that a B means you resit the exam at one school round here.
This can happen at your average state school now too. If a student achieves lower than their target grade, they are 'encouraged' to resit. Teachers who allow this to pass can be called in to explain the perceived discrepancy. This was certainly my experience fwiw.
Last edited by KS10 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

I think one of the issues with 'academic' schools is that they will have many able pupils and will stretch them beyond the rather basic demands of the GCSE and A Level syllabuses. For those aiming at Oxbridge, this is a good thing.

A less academic school can stretch its brightest students too, but it doesn't have to.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

twelve minus, you put it very well. It's exactly that.

KS10, that's interesting.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

The very academic schools select the most able, those who are most likely to achieve the highest grades ultimately. There is a greater expectation that the students are able to cope. There may be an expectation that the students are more independent as learners from the outset. At least, that is what I have found. There is not as much nurturing as in some of the better 'less academic' schools. DD's school (highly academic) likes students to be strong, confident and hold informed opinions about the world in general as well.

It's great for her, but does not suit everybody. Many would sink in that type of school. I should think carefully about the choice of school. You know your child. What sort of environment would be most suitable? Do not assume it will be the most academic.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

As I understand it the atmosphere in girls' schools are quite different from boys. Lots of academic boys are quite poor at life skills, but I think that for girls they are expected to be (and generally are) more self-possessed.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

twelveminus wrote:As I understand it the atmosphere in girls' schools are quite different from boys. Lots of academic boys are quite poor at life skills, but I think that for girls they are expected to be (and generally are) more self-possessed.
Fair enough. I can accept that.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's a huge over generalisation 12- :shock:
mystery

Post by mystery »

The only way to get an answer to the op question would be to know what results they get with able children subject by subject and if the answer is good, hope that teachers of the same calibre are there in years to come. A close relative of mine recently got extremely good results at a non-selective indie. If the staff changed, the school might not be so successful at getting the best out of the most able, but the more academic school would have this as one of the main aims of their recruitment process.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Amber wrote: If you like the school and feel it will suit your child, go for it. Don't take any notice of other people who may have all kinds of personal agendas in trying to influence you.
Wise words Amber! Personally for me throughout this 11+ journey I have had time to sit and evaluate my feelings regarding different things. I reckon I focused very much on what OTHER people thought of particular schools and possible that has influenced me. When you sit and really think about what school actually suits ones own child, imo THAT is the right school, academic/non academic or whatever. A believe a child shall flourish if they are put in the right environment for them, as an individual.
Amber

Post by Amber »

twelveminus wrote:As I understand it the atmosphere in girls' schools are quite different from boys. Lots of academic boys are quite poor at life skills, but I think that for girls they are expected to be (and generally are) more self-possessed.
I had the misfortune to be in a hotel with a large group of girls from a very expensive London school recently. I would say they were extremely self-possessed, assertive and au fait with the vocabulary of some quite mature 'life skills', and confident in bucket loads, until I threatened to report them to their head teacher unless they let the rest of the hotel guests get some sleep. Self possession can have a downside...the males in the hotel, my son included, found it all a bit scary, I think. :?