CEM????

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

countrymum

CEM????

Post by countrymum »

Only now am I looking properly into what DD's exam entails with really not very long to go at all :shock: This school option was very much late to the bag so although DD is keen on the school, and we liked it, if she gained a GS place ( she passed 3) as well as here we would have a lot of thinking to do. She has had mostly DIY home tutoring and a handful of group paper practise sessions in regards to revision for her GS exams last year. Nothing since. IMO she also has a big heap of natural ability.

We have done no specific revising for this upcoming indie exam and tbh I am perfectly comfortable with sending her in on the day and seeing how it goes. She is working so hard at school, good levels etc, high reading/spelling age etc and reads a lot and so am happy (possibly naively so) to just go over some of the basics and leave it at that.

Having seen some of the test outline, the maths, vocab, comprehension/problem solving shall be CEM....Does anyone know how these tests are/compare to GS testings. Does it depend on area? Having successfully passed 3 GS exams already would these CEM tests be much harder/easier to my DD? CEM is a new concept to me and haven't researched it much tbh.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by countrymum on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Re: CEM????

Post by yoyo123 »

there has been a lot of discussion on the Bucks and Birmingham sections about CEM. Best thing to do is a search ( top right hand corner of page, just under the menu bar)
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

yoyo123 wrote:there has been a lot of discussion on the Bucks and Birmingham sections about CEM. Best thing to do is a search ( top right hand corner of page, just under the menu bar)
Thanks Yoyo! Ah, so it is used already in some GS exams? Is it this new thing that is supposed to be 'tutor proof' or am I getting it confused with something else. Shall go have a search on here. Thanks.

EDIT: Think I understand it a bit more now, just read about cloze too. I guess that may be a part of the CEM test she shall have. Best go do a bit of research on that too. Having not done a jot of specific revision for this indie exam, I probably look a bit foolish, but on the other hand literacy/language is her strength so feel confident this particular CEM test may suit her.
Last edited by countrymum on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

If it is CEM university of Durham then yes it's the new (ish) form of 11 plus which is often referred to as tutor proof. I didn't realise any indies were using CEM, how interesting. Brum forum has great info on content and prep.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks Fairy. Yes that's the one, University of Durham. She has 5 sections to her exam and 2 of them are CEM. We have VERY little time to get a grip on this!! But if is indeed this 'tutor proof' thing am happy to seen her in 'un-tutored' in it. I'll come back and tell you how it went. The school is great but there is a financial aspect that obviously we wouldn't have if she gained a GS place and we certainly need some financial help. Many if's and but's.

Maybe we should do a couple of cloze thingy's. Urrrr now then where can I find some practice ones....
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Patricia's post at the start of the first sticky in bucks forum has a good couple of links in it for cloze which I have looked at for ds. Having tried to prepare dd for CEM last year, and preparing ds this year, the main thing is to tell the dc that its not like standard vr Nvr, they might see questions that look like nothing they have ever seen before with some questions so hard they may find it difficult even to hazard a guess, but don't panic, it'll be the same for everyone, and the pass mark should be lower than usual.
Look forward to hearing how it pans out for you, country mum, good luck to your dd, when's the test?
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Got 2 weeks!! Thanks for all those tips and highlighting Patricia's post. I shall certainly mention to DD your thoughts, so thank you. Cloze is something DD has never encounted before but having just had a little nose at some examples, think she may pick it up alright if we go over some practice ones before the day. Here's hoping!

Thanks for the good luck, think we may need it, especially with our, rather MY lack of preparation!
MAZER66

Post by MAZER66 »

IMO there is no such thing as a "tutor proof "(but I would say that woundn't I) test.
Even BMAT, UKCAT (aptitude test for prospective Medics) and Oxbridge/medicine interviews, can be coached for. Believe me, there are whole industries making a small "killing" from this type of thing, if the blurb is to be believed,and are quite successful?? !
As CEM assessment, which seems to be spreeding like wildfire all across the GS catchments and some more of the more progressive indies, becomes the Gold Standard , wait and see how, by magic, there will be courses springing up all over the place (in fancy Public Schools with boarding provided and an a la carte 5 course meal provided!! for a small "kings ransome"), on-line courses, super-apps, interactive CD ect, ect.
I'm afraid there is no de-railing this coaching " gravy train"
except!! if we had a purely I.Q test that was culture, social-economical background, ethnic neutral test, this will NEVER happen, for 2 main reasons, selective schools are not just interested in raw intelligence but also prior attainment, i.e these school are not just interested in teaching raw talent but want thier yr 7`s to be profient in the 3 R,s they simply do not have the time or inclination to reiterate what primary schools should have done in the first place.
The second reason, the middle classes would never allow it, when little Tobias and Henrietta discover that they are not quite as smart as they thought they were, when the little oik from the the local council estate who never had any encouragement from his parent/s (more likey the singular)simply "blitzes" them at the exam.
It would be intertesting though, such an exam would help to loosen the the strangle hold middle classes have over GS education and GS will be able to do what they are designed to do - encourage social mobility. But then , I'd be out of a job I love.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Interesting post Mazer.

It is CEM that claims it is tutor - proof. In fact, in the places where they are used, tuition is big business - probably bigger than before as parents worry that they are not up the job. The tutors also regularly gather exam content after exams as many of the questions (including vocabulary) are recycled in some form for several years before they change them again, especially in maths and verbal. So then they are perceived to have more insider knowledge about content and rely on tutors more. If anything, CEM exams create a bigger reliance on tuition.

Of course, there are people who have DIYed (including myself) and it is possible. CEM exams are about a lot of things but equality of access and social mobility are not amongst them.

UmSusu
UmSusu
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

MAZER66 wrote:It would be intertesting though, such an exam would help to loosen the the strangle hold middle classes have over GS education and GS will be able to do what they are designed to do - encourage social mobility. But then , I'd be out of a job I love.
How about if the stanglehold of the super-riches in charitable-statused schools, established mainly as free schools for poors, is also broken? Wouldn't that be a day? :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now