Is there much difference in teaching styles? London schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KS10

Re: Is there much difference in teaching styles? London sch

Post by KS10 »

I think we were in shock so said nothing.
We didn't say anything either, but it was Des Tech and not a subject like biology.
simon

Post by simon »

Add to that (1) an English teacher who refuses to teach the gcse books because he says that his job is to engender a love of literature and the boys are clever enough to read the set texts themselves (2) a Latin teacher who left half way through a year, folled by 3 teat=chers in as many months (3) a history teacher who waffles on about nothing all lesson leaving the class to make their own notes for homework and (4) a chemistry teacher with a phd who cant control the class. I have come to the conclusion that what i am paying for is in large part the peer pressure which drives them on to do really well.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Goodness me! You parents must be able to do something about this. I would not put up with any of those scenarios and neither would the other parents at our school. All our teachers have an entire class observation once a term by a member of the SLT so just would not be able to get away with this. Surely the GCSE results in Literature would identify the English teacher. I can't see a class of 15 and 15 year olds being able to understand the poems in the AQA Moon and Tides Poetry Anthology without guided close reading of the language. DG
simon

Post by simon »

you'd be amazed if you knew which school I am talking about. As far as the English is concerned, we are talking about very bright boys who are capable of teaching themselves the course and do so, some I imagine with a tutor - as a result there isn't much difference between that teacher's results and those of the other sets (as the HM told me when I complained). The lessons are sparky and inspiring but irrelevant to the gcse.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I can't imagine an entire class of 15/16 yr old boys being able to understand the nuances of books such as The Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men and Great Expectations and plays such as Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector Calls. So what does he teach them then? I am fascinated! How long has this been going on? DG
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

When we choose a school, we are really choosing our fellow parents.
Too true...

We deliberately chose indie (NLCS) over a state school (DAO) in the hope that smaller class sizes would lead to a more focussed approach to teaching, and that our DD2 (who has a slight tendency to laziness) wouldn't be able to hide.

Early days yet, but I'm not convinced that this is going to happen.

My only comparison point is HBS, where the teachers are, by and large, excellent - but even then they don't really have the time to give particularly useful feedback on homework and projects. When one thinks it through, how could they?! I was impressed recently where the English teacher gave out photocopies of a selection of the best answers and the challenge to the pupils was to work out what was so good about these answers.

And relating to a thread elsewhere, neither seem interested in properly teaching essay planning and writing.
baggies4ever

Post by baggies4ever »

What an excellent thread and so timely as parents move from frenzy of exam prep to considering offers. I have DCs at one of the top-performing north London schools - teaching invariably excellent, blistering pace of work and a strong work-hard/ play hard ethic. Suits my dcs perfectly and whilst they're both doing very well indeed and pick things up quickly, my goodness do they have to work for it. Class sizes are not small. I am sure that parents at similar schools would say the same. Plenty of topics covered beyond the National Curriculum, good focus on independent thinking, debate etc - occasional whole days set aside. No school will ever please 100% of parent group all the time but we're very happy and especially so that the school seems to regularly evaluate how to update its approaches.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Ds1 is at a london indie and ds2 at a state grammar , the difference in class sizes between both does not make a huge difference . The teaching styles at the indie vary , with some very good teachers and some with room for improvement . The lessons at the indie are 30-35mins each lesson and at the grammar school , lessons are an hour long . Having compared both schools, I feel teaching in the grammar school is more rigorous with the aim being that the kids take full notes and understand the scheme of work thoroughly . Some of the teachers at the indie (not all ) , allow the kids to learn independently , research topics and do not follow any structured curriculum . The independent learning aspect suits some kids but not and as such the parents have to fill in the gaps themselves or get a tutor .

When looking at indies initially , I was naive to think that kids at indies do not get tutored (independently) through to gcse or a levels, but you will be surprised that parents often have to fill the gaps and get tutors so their dcs catch up with the peer group and ultimately maintain the excellent results you find in the league tables.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Good grief. I wish you all felt able to name these schools. If DS gets into a high performing selective indie I seriously hope we won't be paying for tutoring on top.

But I'm intrigued, because among complaints Simon listed, I didn't particularly disapprove of the attitude of the English teacher (English is my subject.)
We too had a teacher in my state comp who taught us complementary literature until the term before exams. She was teaching us how to put work in context. She was ensuring we'd all read at least one other book by the authors on our syllabus. If a teacher teaches you how to read and dissect a book properly, you can apply those skills to any text. He knows they have to read their syllabus books, so spends time ensuring they are well acquainted with books they don't have to read, but should read to have a context for the syllabus. It's a gamble with B stream pupils, but top stream might get better grades as a result of his unorthodox methods.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Good grief. I wish you all felt able to name these schools. If DS gets into a high performing selective indie I seriously hope we won't be paying for tutoring on top
Me too! All I had on top (at an average comp) were a few Letts revise and a weekend with my aunt and uncle (Maths teachers at a B'ham grammar)...... :lol:

Was hoping one of these London indies would be at least as good as that. :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now