Francis Holland Regents Park Interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SleepyHead

Re: Francis Holland Regents Park Interview

Post by SleepyHead »

exampipe wrote:Thanks for the reply on this.

I agree on the DD levels etc...but I was also curious to understand the "odds" on a place based purely on the numbers involved...if that makes sense.....

We are in two minds about FHS....nice school, good atmosphere.....but unsure if it is the "right" kind of school for our DD

Any ideas how many applicants sat FH (Regents park) this year.
Lady Byron

Post by Lady Byron »

fairyelephant wrote:Exampipe, I think sometimes we lose perspective when there are so many very high achieving schools around. I get the feeling that fh is often the last choice for some, but having been at the same school from 4 to 18 myself, those who were top at 11 were not the same as those who did best at 18. Fh brings on those who may not have been top flight at 11 and also stretches those who were but wanted a less pressured environment. It also helps to develop some really lovely girls. The only reson it's not higher on my own wish list (at present!) is a rather awkward journey.
This is so very true. Failed my 11 plus, got to Cambridge, now doing a PhD. Certainly, a lot of these London schools are amazing, but you also have to consider a child's character, motivation and determination and consider which school will give them the space to explore their academic potential.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

second Tier Schools often offer more value added than top tier schools, in fact we opted a Second Tier School than a Top Tier , because it was a better fit for our son.

The thing is ,there are so many top schools in the S.E that its become a bit of an obsession down there , here in the N.W we only have 3 such schools and possibly have a more balanced approach not to mention the eye watering fees in the South :shock: I am surprised anyone can afford to eat in London let alone send their children to private school.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Does anyone know the geographical spread of applicants to Francis Holland (RP)

Assuming that applications are around 600+ ?? with all the London, and North London girls applying.

Does anyone know how hard/easy it is to get into.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

My sense is that they will offer to more children per place than some other schools, as they are often a fall back.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

thanks fairyelephant. I don't suppose you've heard of any stats for this or previous years.
rsoni

Post by rsoni »

I really liked Francis Holland for my DD - I believe she will thrive in that environment. I prefer a school that focuses on building an all-round personality OVER a school that pressurizes her academically. Given her personality - I know she will do better in a nurturing environment.

Have my fingers crossed and sights set on FHR + Queens Gate
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now