Finding a primary for Y2-- application process is expensive!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mama-de-dos

Finding a primary for Y2-- application process is expensive!

Post by mama-de-dos »

Hi, All--

I'm wondering whether it is standard for parents looking for pre-prep entry to spend hundreds of pounds on registration fees just to get their children on waitlists at a bunch of schools? What are the chances that we'll get in to any of the schools we are looking at if we are on waiting lists? Out of about eight schools we inquired of, only one of them has a Y2 space right now for Sept '13, and that school is a bit out of the way. I know that things can change as the new school year draws closer, but this sure feels like a lottery!
hermanmunster

Re: Finding a primary for Y2-- application process is expens

Post by hermanmunster »

hmm have seen pre prep asking for registration fees but they don't tend to be hundreds (though expect some can be) - would expect the school to be pretty realistic about the likelihood of a place, particularly as though are asking you for money up front!

thinking about I knew of people on waiting lists who were only asked for registration fees when it was apparent there were places :?
Plus11

Re: Finding a primary for Y2-- application process is expens

Post by Plus11 »

I had a bad experience with my dc changing school at the end of y3. Was panicking as had 2 weeks to find a new one before schools closed for the summer break. Do remember one particular "selective" cashing the cheque, and not returning any of my calls after, being well aware of my situation at the time. Come September, said that didn't have places..
So, of course, not all of them behave like that but be mindful that some may.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now