SATs

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

exampipe

SATs

Post by exampipe »

Do the Independent schools take into account the SATS exam results that the children will sit in May in State schools , to stream in Year 7?
Ancilla

Re: SATs

Post by Ancilla »

No not at all. I don't think they receive anything other than the head of the primary's report on the child which is usually prepared during the Christmas holidays.

A lot of the schools wait a few terms or even a year to decide what sets to put the children into - that way they can ensure they are placing them according to their ability and not simply the level they have reached at their previous school.

They might group MFL classes by experience however - no point putting bilingual children in the same class as those who have zero exposure to the language.
Kingfisher

Re: SATs

Post by Kingfisher »

Almost certainly not. There may be students coming up from the Junior School who won't have taken SATs; this would also be the case for students from other independent prep schools. SATs are not viewed in the same way in independent schools.

My DD is at a super-selective and they are taught in form groups for all subjects. They will be put into sets for Maths but not until year 9. Other schools do set earlier, but they do their own internal tests to ascertain where a student should be placed and this is reviewed regularly.

I wouldn't worry.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now