Any feedback on Guildford area Indies for boys?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mommachubba

Any feedback on Guildford area Indies for boys?

Post by mommachubba »

Can anyone give me some idea of where else I should be applying to for my DS for next year? My DS will be sitting the 11+ next January for RGS but I've been out of the UK for three years and have lost touch with what the good boys schools are. Can anyone help? We live close to Guildford if that's a help and DS, is pretty bright but also pretty good at sports too.
Any feedback greatly appreciated...also..what do you do in case he doesn't get in anywhere?! :cry:
Aboleyn

Re: Any feedback on Guildford area Indies for boys?

Post by Aboleyn »

Which side of Guildford are you and do you want 11+ or 13+? Not many boys schools in Guildford, unlike situation for girls. Fairly close if by train are -
Hampton Boys - in Hampton, obviously. I liked it, but not right location for us. Entry at 11 and 13, at 11 they take a lot of state school boys. Reeds in Oxshott - intakes at 11 and 13. Very high fees. Kings College Wimbledon - probably one of the most academic. Selisian (spelt wrong I know!) boys in Chertsey? don't know anything about that one.
Co-ed ones - St Johns, Leatherhead - is now co-ed, from 13, lots of places, some boarding, high fees. Easier to get into than RGS, allegedly. City of London Freemans in Ashtead, again co-ed - very difficult to get into though as there are only 20 places at 11 and about the same at 13 - and they keep an equal amount for boys and girls. Epsom College in Epsom - again co-ed from 13 - worth being sporty to go there (and rich - again fees v high!). St Georges in Weybridge - Catholic, don't know much....
dlb

Post by dlb »

Yes RGS main boys indie in Guildford. Salesians is a mixed catholic comprehensive in Chertsey not an indie. Hampton is the other high academic boys indie on par with RGS. There is also Kingston Grammar School which is co-ed indie and sporty. Can't think of any others at mo which add to previous post.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Salesian is in Farnborough. The Salesian in Chertsey is a comp.

Hampton is very well run, although new head coming in (previously the deputy).

RGS highest academic standards.

St Johns posh but not that bright.

Reeds popular for good pastoral care.

Charterhouse and Cranleigh both trad 13+ boarding schools = expensive.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now