Bancrofts and Forest Schools - any experience?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
E17ie

Re: Bancrofts and Forest Schools - any experience?

Post by E17ie »

Meant to add, can anyone do a 'compare and contrast' with Latymer Edmonton? I wasn't able to go to their open day but DS sat the exam anyway. Am now wondering whether there's a dramatic difference between Bancrofts/Forest and Latymer in terms of 'feel', confidence of the kids, extracurricular etc..
elimu

Post by elimu »

I want to share with you a most upsetting and harrowing experience we have had with Bancrofts and am wondering if others have as well.

Our DD was offered a firm place at Bancrofts for September 2013 start. Last Friday we attended the school's taster session to help us and DD get a feel and to make a decision. Over the weekend, we decided to accept the place at Bancrofts (and simultaneous to decline others) and I completed all the acceptance forms together with the deposit cheque. I enthusiastically posted this with first class post and in good faith on Monday 4 March in very good time for the stipulated 6 March deadline. As far as we were concerned this was a done deal and thought nothing more of it.

Imagine our horror and shock when yesterday 7 March at around 9.30 am we received a call from Bancrofts stating that they had only just that morning received our acceptance and as the deadline of 6 March had passed, the offer of a place to our DD was being effectively withdrawn ("being put on the waiting list"). Needless to say we were appalled by such ruthless behaviour and our DD's life being played about with. The lady who called was totally unsympathetic and showed no empathy whatsoever - we could only send DD to 1 school and having accepted Bancrofts in good faith we found ourselves in total despair. They were not willing to entertain our plea or to talk to us - it was a fait accompli - the lady even said she was not willing to continue the conversation and that she would hang up the phone. A few minutes later I called and spoke to the head of admissions who was equally cold and unsympathetic - there was nothing she could do. They claimed to have received our form a day late and that was that. They also admitted, when asked if there were other parents in a similar position to ours, that there were.

I know full well what has gone on here and the politics being played out at our DD's expense. We have been in the unfortunate position of our DD being one of those "weeded out" after acceptance given that (I strongly suspect) the number of acceptances out of those they offered exceeded the maximum of their places. We know that schools over-offer places knowing that pupils will turn down other places.

We are extremely upset at the way we and especially our DD have been treated but we have faith that this perceived cloud of injustice will have a silver lining behind it. Having done very well in the exams, having passed the interview stage, having accepted the place and then having the proverbial rug pulled from under our feet under such horrible circumstances is a situation one would not wish for their worst enemy.
Son123

Post by Son123 »

hi, send an e-mail to the head and i am sure she will look into it for you, the admissions ladies do not have the authority to make decisions like the head , do it straight away and i am sure she will look into the issue.
GOOD LUCK
E17ie

Post by E17ie »

That's awful!

I'm completely gob-smacked. Please do contact the head directly - and let us know if the situation is resolved? I can't believe that a school which was acting in good faith would not contact you to check that you definitely didn't want the place before removing your daughter from the list - knowing what was at stake? [hmm]
rbs

Post by rbs »

Hi,

Forest contacted us and all the parents I know by email prior to the deadline to get an indication as to what we were thinking.

My elder son was offered places at Chigwell, Forest and Bancrofts last year and all three schools had more acceptances than they expected.

Chigwell and Forest (I have been told) laid on five forms instead of their usual four, but Bancrofts stuck to four forms and have 30 childeren in each class.

I hope you get this awful situation sorted out but Bancrofts are known to be ruthless...........
lefol

Post by lefol »

30 in a class????? !!

My DS form had 27 in the class and I thought that was far too much for a 15K a year indie. Frankly , they should have 20 in a class and make offers realistically rather than being greedy and keeping the fees that we sweat for and putting 30 in a class .#outrage
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Woodfordmum wrote:Could I ask a further question of those with children at Bancroft's currently? Please could you share your knowledge of how much extras cost, like trips, and is it noticeable if there are children who don't join in with things that have an extra charge? I guess I'm really asking if there's a stigma attached to being at the less wealthy end of the spectrum?
I have had 2 children in private schools - the difference is not noticeable as all schools have children from different backgrounds. Lots of parents are professionals who work really hard to pay the fees. If anything, the super-rich are a minority in most schools.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Elimu, Hope your situation is resolved quickly and you get a positive result. If you sent the forms back by recorded delivery then you could use the receipt to support your date of posting.

We had verbally accepted our place before dropping off the forms ourselves as we did not want to take any chances.

Good Luck
RAB321

Post by RAB321 »

Im quite suprised that you had a bad experience. The deadline was on a wed and the taster session was on the firday after the deadline.

I rang Bancrofts on the monday before the deadline and asked when it would be suitable to bring in the forms and deposit. They very kindly asked me if I would be attending the taster session and if I was then I could bring the forms in on that day.

I stressed it was after the deadline and I didnt want to lose our place. They assured me that they had noted this decision and it would be fine to bring everything in on the taster day.

Bancrofts have been so flexible and understanding with every step of the process with us.

Im sure you will be able to resolve this issue too. Good Luck.
abuzus

Post by abuzus »

Rab321 - are you saying you attended a taster day on Fri 8th March?

Our offer letter offered the taster day on Fri 1st March, and as deadline day was Wed 6th March, it preceded it the deadline day. Just curious...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now