Westminster under vs King's junior wimbledon

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Plus11

Westminster under vs King's junior wimbledon

Post by Plus11 »

So after the turmoil of exams and waits etc am very lucky to be in the position to choose between our top choices. Doesn't make the choice itself easier though! So anyone with a view or an experience, feel free to voice it:)
If the distance and commute is not a problem (can and will move) and other practicalities can be sorted, what would you recommend for an all-rounder? Academic, loves art, sports, music. He mixes well, is a bit quirky but probably not the most organised (read "terrible at organising"). He could lose about anything! He's naturally curious and will try really hard if the teacher is inspiring but would not be the kind to choose to sit in the corner to read the encyclopedia instead of playing warhammer. And finally, if anyone has any words of wisdom about the ib system vs the uk system, would be greatly appreciated!
Jean.Brodie

Re: Westminster under vs King's junior wimbledon

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi Plus11! Congratulations to you and especially to your son - he has earned wonderful opportunities for himself!

He sounds like so many boys and also very talented. King's Wimbledon is a fine school but Westminster is quite special, also near enough unique in its central and 'worldly' location and history and the additional opportunities these bring. At Westminster, his academic potential wil be realised and he will have plenty of scope and support for his musical, artistic and sporting potential. He will also love the naturally longer hours with so many like minded boys all - like him - with something special to offer on top of companionship and friendship.

By the way, will he board or be a day boy?

I would go with Westminster.
Plus11

Post by Plus11 »

Thank you, Jean.Brodie! I am thinking boarding. 6day school week seems like a lot of travel not to board... And hopefully, it will work out well and he will appreciate the opportunity of boarding. (in his teenage mind I'll probably be an ancient dinosaur with nothing to say, he already wouldn't know or have an opinion about:) )
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

Congatulations to your boy.

Mine had offers from both and St Pauls for 13+, he was very motivated at pre-test time, its all gone downhill since! He picked KCS and it was definitely the right choice for him.

Westminster really is for the super/super bright. They regularly get in excess of 100 Oxbridge offers, KCS is a long way behind at only 55! Alhough he is very bright he is not particularly scholarly, the boys from his prep heading for Westminster are very different to him and spend most of their time on academic pursuits - not minecraft! DS wasn't happy with the sport at W, and the idea of a Latin play finished him off. For the right boy Westminster is something else, but not for my DS.

It could be spot on for yours though, if I had the right boy for Westminster I wouldn't hesitate.

We looked into IB v A levels a lot and were happy with the IB only choice at the time, KCS has now changed and is offering A levels as well. There is an urban myth that you can't get into medicine with the IB, but KCS sent 18 last year - so thats rubbish. W doesn't send many on to medicine because their pupils intend running the country not doing something as lowly as becoming a doctor. Westminster if I remember rightly only sit the Cambridge Pre-U, although some pre-u schools will sit non-modular A levels if they are available in some subjects.

Both schools now have a reputation for being full of the offspring of Russian billionaires based in Kensington/Chelsea! But honestly, how many can there be?

Congrats again.
comp123

Post by comp123 »

Well done to your son on a great achievement. Both are good schools but Westminster has the edge. It is fantastic and will bring the best out in him, as well as giving him a great opportunity for Oxbridge in the future. Most people given the choice would chose Westminster, but most don't get that choice!
Tdada

Post by Tdada »

go for convenience. Both schools are outstanding!! well done to the little boy
ConcernedDad

Post by ConcernedDad »

Congratulations to your DS.

While both are excellent schools, Westminister is a class apart. From what I heard from friends with kids in Westminister, it is definitely the right school if your DS is quirky.

Not exactly a primary parameter - but 44%-49% of the applicants from Westminister get admissions at Oxbridge while only about 21%-23% of the applicants at King's get through to Oxbridge. Please see enclosed reports for details :

http://www.suttontrust.com/public/docum ... -final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - for 3 years ending in 2011 (Table 9)

http://www.suttontrust.com/research/uni ... l-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - for 5 years ending in 2008 (Table 2)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now