Independents and debt collection for unpaid fees

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Independents and debt collection for unpaid fees

Post by Guest »

My child's school an independent primary gave us terms notice which arrived the second day of the school holidays. I found a new school the next day but I really cannot afford to pay the Autumn term for the old one and the new one. The first school are insisting I pay or they will refer it to a debt collection agency.

If it's relevant the reason we were asked to leave was because I had complained to the school about a teacher and other matters and I was overheard by a snitch telling another parent about it in a private conversation.

I would quite prepared to defend my corner in court but I have no experience of debt collection agencies and find the whole thing quite alarming. If anyone has any experience in this area please let me know what I should expect.
guest0001

Post by guest0001 »

You entered into a financial contract with the school. We would have to give one terms notice if we were to take our child out of his independent school,so i assume it would be the same for you. If i have read your message correctly,then you are bound by that contract,and the school is by law, entitled to the terms fees. This is why private schools have these contracts. They have to protect their own interests.

Juliette.

Post by Guest »

You entered into a financial contract with the school. We would have to give one terms notice if we were to take our child out of his independent school,so i assume it would be the same for you.
I've read this as the school giving a terms notice for the child to leave not the other way round. Is there anything in your contract covering this? Would your new school be prepared to accept your child in the second term?

If I were in your shoes I would definitely be seeking legal advice.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agree with poster above - your child can still stay at the original school until the end of next term, that is IF you can stan it and IF the new school will wait a term to take them..

Post by Guest »

Thanks that is a good idea!

I forgot to mention in the original post what I think is the crux of the matter. That is that the school in its notice letter threatened that if I was reported as making any more nasty comments, my child would be kicked out immediately with no notice. I feel this puts my child and me under a lot of pressure.

Also as my child is now 11 and moving into the Secondary school I feel it would be unfair to make him do a term with a new teacher and new subjects etc and then make him start all over again.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

What extraordinary tactics by the school! :shock:

If our son's school threatened to kick out every parent who has ever said something "nasty" about a teacher, they would lose around 90% of their pupils and thus income. Likewise I can't count the number of times people have discussed openly that they have been in to complain about a teacher. Most parents have issues with a teacher at some stage in their child's time at any school.

I have always said to the nicest teachers that they can be sure they are doing a good job because their name never comes up at the school gates!

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

See a solicitor.

One strategy would be to tell the agency that you intend to defend the claim in court. The agency will have no further role and the school will need to sue you for the fees. When they do, write to them (through your solicitor) making it clear that the whole story will come out in court and you would expect the local papers to be present. I imagine that at that stage they will be keen to settle. Be sure to gather statements from those prepared to tell your side of the story.

Post by Guest »

Be very careful on this one - IAPS schools will not accept a child where there are fees owing at another IAPS school. Check the schools are embers of the IAPS, or else you will have a lot of hassle.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now