MTS or St Albans - should he take the exams?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zorro

MTS or St Albans - should he take the exams?

Post by zorro »

Hi, I need some advice.
DS has applied to St Albans and Merchant Taylor's for Sixth Form. Oroginally he was really keen on MTS ansd only went to the St Albans interview to please us (although he has now admitted that he didn't think he would get an offer for St A's and did really like it)
Well - now he has been offered a place at St A's (conditional on GCSE grades of course)
He was supposed to go to the MTS entrance exams today but had done no revision after getting his offer from St A's and for the last few days said he didn't want to go. I thought he was bluffing and had told him he should still take the exams as they were expecting him, we had paid for it and it would be good practice.
Last night he said he did want to do the exams but as he had done no revision could I ring them and say he was ill and get another date. I was really cross as I hate mucking people around but I did it. They said he can come on Thurs and he wasn't the only one - someone else had called in sick ( wonder if they were really ill or had second thoughts too? :oops: )
I feel really bad now and cross with myself for insisting he took the exams . :roll:

Should I let him do the exams on Thurs or should I just call them and say he already has an offer?
Even if he passes the exams I think it will come over at the interview that he's not committed to coming to the school.
DH was useless - said it was up to him.
Help please!!
lefol

Re: MTS or St Albans - should he take the exams?

Post by lefol »

Do persuade him to take the MTS exam , it gives him an option in case things do not go well with the St Albans interview.
maddad

Post by maddad »

It sounds like you don't have anything to lose and possibly something to gain, so if he wants to do the exam, I'd definitely let him.

We applied last year to both St Albans and MTS (for Year 7) and were extremely impressed with MTS (it was our favourite school, but a little too far to travel every day). Other than distance, MTS won hands down in our (personal) opinion, so give it a go...

Maybe now that he's got an offer from St A, he doesn't want to risk trying for MTS and failing, even though he still is keen on MTS. Just a thought - you know your own DS and whether this is likely...
zorro

Post by zorro »

maddad - you could be right!
The selection process at MTS is much more rigorous, he could be trying to avoid a failure- confident in the fact that he already has an offer in the bag.
He has 2 nights to revise his 3 AS choices ( he can't revise Economics as he hasn't done it before - that's his 4th AS choice) .
St A is closer for us too, MTS right out in the sticks nearly an hour away by car.

Lefol - he's already had interview at ST A and got an offer.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

zorro I would encourage him to go for it - it's not a bad position to be in, to have nothing major riding on the entrance exams, he can just relax and do his best.

I think your DS would find MTS a good match to his current school - similar in feeling and set up, but with a slightly more academic bent.

Quite a lot of boys travel for around that length of time to MTS, it isn't the easiest place to get to! :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

I would let him decide for himself, as he is now old enough to understand the consequences. Explain that you are leaving it to him to make his mind up, and that as long as he is totally clear that this is his one and only chance, you will support him whatever he decides and not mention it again.

ETA - nearly an hour by car? :shock: Don't try too hard to persuade him!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Thanks guys - this is helping!
Amber, that's what I was originally thinking as I did secretly want him to go to St A. But I have read a lot on here about it being quite pressured and I'm now wavering!
Re:travelling-he'd go on the coach,the stop is only 5 mins drive from our house.

Rob - you are absolutely right about it being a good match for his current school but part of me thinks maybe this is not a good thing and he should go somewhere different.
daughter

Post by daughter »

Not that it is my business but .... I think that he should go because you have "pulled a sicky" on his behalf and I think it sends the wrong message re- commitments etc to DS. Although on the other hand I suppose it is in some ways more "honest" to MTS if you tell them you/he is not interested and it saves them marking and potentially offering a place to him. Tricky one!
zorro

Post by zorro »

I know - but I expect he's not the only one applying to other schools .
Amber

Post by Amber »

daughter wrote:Not that it is my business but .... I think that he should go because you have "pulled a sicky" on his behalf and I think it sends the wrong message re- commitments etc to DS.
I didn't want to say that but yes, I must admit I agree. :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now