Assisted place.....appeal?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fff

Assisted place.....appeal?

Post by fff »

Our DS has offers from 2 independent schools which is excellent.
We are still awaiting our grammar school choice confirmation on Friday 1st march.

We applied for assisted fees at both independent schools but have been declined. I just wondered if there was an appeals process for assisted fees? If so how do I go about it?

The head has offered to support us and we have character references from the clubs our DS attends.

Many thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Assisted place.....appeal?

Post by hermanmunster »

There isn't really any appeals process for independent schools, they handle their own admissions etc.

Another thing to consider is that some schools have waiting lists for APs and often let parents know that the DC is on the list - depends on the circumstances at your school

Good luck for friday!
fff

Post by fff »

Thanks hermanmunster.....

Should I ring the school to see if he is on the waiting list? & that we are appealing?

It's a complete new area for us.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You could ask re possibility of waiting list but they won't have appeals
nonethewiser

Post by nonethewiser »

fff, I'm hoping for an AP too. Contacted the Bursar and he is out of the office (....or hiding) :lol:
browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl »

fff Congratulations to your son he has done brilliantly and good luck for Friday
This is how AP works at our school don't know if it will help - As I understand it the funds available for assisted places the School are able to award will have been agreed by the Head and the Board of Governors and they will try and award as many places as they can.
The number of places available will also take account of how much assistance people have applied for/need so the number of places can vary from year to year.
The assistance with our scheme is based on your household income so whilst one applicant may be eligible for say 80% others may be 20%.
The assisted places are then awarded based on performance in the entrance exam so if there are five assisted places they will go to the top five highest scoring assisted place applicants.
If any of the applicants turn down the assisted place (e.g.to go to a different school) place is then offered to the next on the list.
(But that must be subject to the funds being available if somebody turns down a 20% offer and the next on the waiting list needs 75% don't quite know how that works)
Perhaps when you ask if you are on the waiting list for AP you could ask how many were awarded and what position your son is on WL.
fff

Post by fff »

Many thanks browneyedgirl........you have given me a "ray" of hope :D

I will call and see where DS is on the waiting list. The head is preparing a reference. Can't hurt to try. I know if I don't it will be a regret on my part.

Am hoping people choose grammar on Friday which will free up some assisted places! Here's hoping.

I understand there were 8 full fee paying places available, as you said split between several children. I know some will be hoping for full assistance and others a percentage.

Thanks for taking the time to reply
fff

Post by fff »

Feel very blessed.

Contacted the bursar following our rejection of an assisted place. We were invited to meet.
Having collated information Im happy to say DS has been offered an assisted place.

We are over the moon.
Thank you for your advice and help.

:D
nonethewiser

Post by nonethewiser »

fff, that is such good news!!!
browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl »

That's fantastic news - well done.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now