Scholarship Interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mikedellfarm

Scholarship Interviews

Post by mikedellfarm »

I would be interested on views on preparation for both academic and art scholarship interviews at Independents. My son will be trying for both after the entrance exam in January - this will be for entry at Year 7. He has already been offered a place at the Senior School, he is currently in the Prep.

I am aware of what his art portfolio needs to contain and can only hope he scores sufficiently in his entrance exam to warrant an academic scholarship interview.

In general I believe they are looking for ability, intelligence, inquisitiveness and curiosity. For the academic interview I wondered should I get someone to "tutor" him a bit ? Presume we need to discuss the books he has read and why they are interesting - three dimensional answers than just "guys shoot each other". Then I was planning to try and up his current affairs knowledge and facts of the last year or so.

For the Art interview I was planning on preparing him with a more general knowledge of art, what mediums it covers, techniques, genres, the history of art etc. Also reminding him of what art he has done, prizes etc, what galleries and exhibitions he has been to. He will obviously have his portfolio to talk through but am trying to think what lies beyond that.

Thoughts, experience, advice ? All gratefully received.
agathachristie

Re: Scholarship Interviews

Post by agathachristie »

It would help if you have some indication of the schools you were aiming for.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Ah yes, sorry ! Middle of the road Independent offering good scholarships - up to 50%.
Last edited by mikedellfarm on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Thank you Ladymuck, very valid points made which I can now think on.

Heir and spare were moved from another Independent as it wasn't academic or challenging enough. Current Prep is aware of Heir sitting for other schools - as had to get authorised absence.

Oddly the current Indie (I shall edit its name out of my previous post for obvious reasons) does actually award good scholarships .. however it doesn't hesitate to NOT offer in a year where they don't think anyone is good enough. Last year no art scholarship was awarded as there was no child who really had a passion.. and this is where Heir does stand out. I'm only ticking off the Galleries as its secretly me who likes to visit them.

Turning negatives into positives is a brilliant idea and something I can work on. I am currently faced with the "I just do" when asked why he enjoys things.. I have my work cut out for me !