Indi for children whose parents are separated or divorced

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
slough mum

Indi for children whose parents are separated or divorced

Post by slough mum »

Are there any schools that offer preference to children whose parents are separated or divorced, offer discounts on fees etc?
Kingfisher

Re: Indi for children whose parents are separated or divorce

Post by Kingfisher »

Not that I know. Your income will be assessed alongside your ex-husband's as he will be assumed to be contributing in a significant way. But why should preferential treatment be given?

There are many single parents with children in an independent school; I am one.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there are some schools that have had pots of money available for children who have lost a parent but doubt that there is any preference / help likely to be given to children of parents who are separated or divorced.
P's mum

Post by P's mum »

Look at Lord Wandsworth in Hants.

If naval (including merchant navy) i.e. any of the child's parent or grandparents, look at the Royal Hospital School Ispwich, though here it is 'social need' that they are interested in not specifically single parent families. However, sometimes children of single parent families have particular social need, which might be best catered for by a boarding school. The Deputy Head at the RHS told me that it is often the grandparents that come to them.
P's mum
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

slough mum wrote:Are there any schools that offer preference to children whose parents are separated or divorced, offer discounts on fees etc?
Well, what discounts could Goldsmith or his ex-wife could claim? or Jamaima Khan could claim for being a divorced mother?

Simple answer is it depends on individual's financial circumstances. Most indies have some fund for bursaries; of course, the children have to be qualified for admission in the first place.
charlie77

Post by charlie77 »

Hi Try ChristHospital school in Horsham, has a very good Bursary system. Predominantly boarding, and very good school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

A school i know near here did not used to ask for the non resident parent income or contributions. Look at a few bursary application forms to find out. Logically they should ask for anything received under a court order or via C s a. .... But then this would be unfair to divorced parents with less formal arrangements. I would doubt many ask for details of maintenance etc as a lot of non resident parents do not contribute, or might stop doing so.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now