preparation for Habs girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
IronMikeTyson

Re: preparation for Habs girls

Post by IronMikeTyson »

SleepyHead wrote:What if one of the questions asked was 'have you had a tutor?' ???
If the answer is "Yes" and the child is not offered a place,the school would go bankrupt.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
AR1890

Post by AR1890 »

We went to the open day today and were in the last talk. The head teacher emphasised the fact that the kids didn't need tutors to get in and what would be covered by schools would be enough.

I doubt they would call a child who got less than 40% in the entrance papers to interview.Selective schools get such fab results because they select the top % of applicants. A eton master is quoted as saying " the school aims to admit the top 10 %, Oxbridge is looking for the top five per cent,"so there can be a wonderful predictability about it."

What is the definition of extensive tutoring? An hour a week ? Does sending your child to a good prep school not count? - as essentially they have been doing what it say on the tin preparing for entrance exams. Our local prep ends at 4pm each day, has smaller classes of less than 31 and got 42 offers from a single highly sought after London girls school. The girls are also given advice on interview prep as well. Choose the top performing kids and your bound to get awesome results.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

JamesDean wrote:
IronMikeTyson wrote:I know one child who is in HABS and had 3 tutors. Don't think anyone on the planet can tell if a child has had a tutor by interviewing them.
What if one of the questions asked was 'have you had a tutor?' ??? :?

JD
Perhaps the third tutor's particular skill was coaching children in how to say "no" convincingly? :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
future

Post by future »

[Our local prep ends at 4pm each day, has smaller classes of less than 31 and got 42 offers from a single highly sought after London girls school.][/quote]
Ar1890 - What school is that?
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

IronMikeTyson wrote:Don't think anyone on the planet can tell if a child has had a tutor by interviewing them.
Happens all the time. I am sure many will slip through but some also end up in 2nd choice schools (where they will probably still have their time filled with this group tutoring etc).
Can only hope that these children have as normal life as they can, I read so much about children that had unhappy experiences at Habs and much of it has to do with it not being the right school for them.
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

The point with Habs is that the school will not push pupils; it will expect them to have the ability to get on with it. Thre is lots of help and extra assistance available, but you are expected to keep up.

My daughter says it is easy to spit those small number who have been extensively tutored and they are usually unhappy because it is the wrong school for them. For Habs you gave to be a self-starter. You cannot expect to be spoon-fed.

My daughter has just helped with her sixth year of open days at Habs and tells me that every year the Head has said that if your daughter needs tutoring for Habs, it isthe wrong school for her.
simon

Post by simon »

My niece just left Cambridge (for Harvard) with a first. At gcse, at Habs, she was tutored in no less than 5 subjects. The childish generalisations on this forum really help no one.
optomsun

Post by optomsun »

Hi There
This is my own experience so I apologise in advance if I ruffle anyones feathers.
My daughter sat the Habs entrance last year and was offered a place which we turned down owing to the fact that she had a place at HBS. If that had not been the case I would have certainly sent her there.
She had no coaching at all . We practiced Bond papers at home : the school prepared her too ( she was at a prep school) .Of all the girls that were invited for the interviews from her school ( including those who had been coached ) she was the only one to be offered a place. This tells me that the interview is just as important and this is what set her apart .
Good Luck :)
future

Post by future »

Can someone please differentiate for me the terms - coaching, tutoring, prepping, practicing papers. Is it all not the same thing, worded and interpreted differently. Surely if you are due to have an exam, you study abd prepare for it. Just like you would do for a driving test or an interview. Am I being naive here?
IronMikeTyson

Post by IronMikeTyson »

All subjective. Let me give my tuppence worth.

Coaching:
Child given information about exam or interview which puts them at an advantage to others not privy to this information.

Tutoring:
Child helped to prepare for exams by an adult .Parents pay for this service.

Prepping:
As above but parent may take on the duty.

DIY:
Same as Tutoring or Prepping but Parents do the work and feel they are a cut above as they have not paid anyone.

Practicing Papers:
Something child has to do if they want a chance to pass.
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now