Lady Eleanor Holles

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

saya

Lady Eleanor Holles

Post by saya »

I am in desperate need of a tutor to prepare my daughter for yr3 entrance exam this January at Lady Eleanor Holles.
Can somebody please recommend a good one.

Many thanks
supermummy

Re: Lady Eleanor Holles

Post by supermummy »

Hi Saya

I don't have details of a tutor although I am sure someone can recommend one in the area.

I think Haberdashers' publish papers for 7+ exams which can be helpful if you work through these together. Also the Emmanuel 10+ paper is quite a straightforward paper that should at least get your daughter used to producing structured answers in an exam format. Also useful for getting them thinking about producing answers in a defined timeframe.

IMHO Bond papers are not too helpful at that age as there is a big jump in standard from 7+ to 11+.

Vocab, spelling and grammar are useful tools that will always serve you well. Schofield and Simms do some graded books that you can work through quite easily and there is a dictionary and dictionary workbook that DD2 found fun.

A little word of warning though. LEH is a tough school even at the junior school . If you do not progress well enough, they will usually recommend that you look at broader options and transition to the senior school is not guaranteed. This relates to classroom performance, how quickly new concepts are grasped etc. so it will not always be possible to "tutor your way out". This can be devastating for young minds as most of their peers will end up staying on.

I say this as DD1 is in the senior school and has comforted a few girls who have had to leave.

Either way good luck!

sm.
saya

Post by saya »

Thank you..will look into all the books you recommended..so far been using bond books only
HappyD

Post by HappyD »

Hi Saya,

My daughter is in the Juniors, but I'd really recommend against any intensive tutoring to get into LEH.

Great school, and we moved from state to LEH. The girls need to stand on their own quickly ... certainly by year 5-6. Most of the girls are doing lots of things - and are allowed to find what they like, so tutoring to keep them there doesn't fit with their friends, nor is there time. And yes a few kids are dropped in Y5-6 as not suitable for the senior school as far as I know. Sport is big - netball or swimming or gym even in Juniors. Add lacrosse and rowing in Seniors.

Although it's a highly academic school I think that's just a starting point ... I'd work on exercises at home etc to get in but avoid tutors if you feel able to resist.

I DO think my daughter could have done even more academically if we'd pushed her but her personal growth and confidence through non-academic interests and her own choices has been truly impressive, and that's why we'll stay at LEH for sure.
saya

Post by saya »

Thank you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now