Channing School v North London Collegiate School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
letitbeover

Re: Channing School v North London Collegiate School

Post by letitbeover »

Shootmenow, I had second thoughts about HBS when I took my dd to sit the exam. I can't really explain why as everyone was very friendly and welcoming. I know it gets great results and that lots of people would sell their granny for a place there, but it just doesn't feel right for dd. She currently views it as her third choice after NLC and Channing and I am trying to stay neutral about all of them so that she can feel free to tell me where she would really like to be. My husband likes NLC, so I suppose the only thing to do is to sit the exam and see what (if any) offers are made. I can't wait for the whole process to be over and am thanking my lucky stars that dd is my youngest child.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

I hear ya! We only had to do 11+ with our youngest but it darn near killed me (she was completely calm throughout). I was put off by the lack of organisation at HB. DD2 is dyslexic and struggles with NVR but we had no info as it was the first year of CEM. Now I know it was a waste of a day (or just practice) as they don't even bother marking the English, where she excels, if the NVR isn't good enough. Just going by who got HB from her prep, it was the girl with the super strong maths. Plenty of articulate, self posessed, non-linear thinking girls didn't make the top 300. But they were also the ones who were 'wow' at interview and got NLCS and SPGS. We also knew that she wouldn't get the games opportunities there. DD2 isn't a great athelete, she just loves taking part in everything going. Smaller schools tend to have A and B teams and we needed C and D.
Another thing to consider, switching analogies, is whether your DD wants to be the grayhound or the bunny. Some girls like being top of everything and others like to feel that there are others to catch up to. At NLCS, it is nearly impossible to be the best at everything- and grades are strictly confidential so they never know for sure. Also, some girls are more tolerant of people who need a bit more repetition in the classroom or need it themselves. NLCS requires that you be self-motivated enough to ask for help when needed outside of lessons. That type of intense atmosphere could crush a girl who needs validation or isn't uber-confident.
I have a lot of friends with Channing girls and it is more mixed ability. If your DD is less confident, it might be a better bet.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

This is all great advice for you letitbeover, do let us know how she gets on. It really is a case of what sort of environment will suit your child. Channing suits dd because she has quickly been able to get to know who what and where so she feels secure, it's a fairly small school. There is competition in the classroom but not so much that she feels anxious (it's early days to judge though). What matters though is where your dd will thrive. It sounds as though nlcs are good at choosing girls who will get on well in their environment, so see what transpires. Horses for courses.

Good luck!
letitbeover

Post by letitbeover »

Thank you everyone. Your advice is really appreciated.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

ans another thing about the 6th form - the girls choose their subjects and their choices are timetabled. They don't have a fixed timetable which you have to base your subject choices around. My daughter did the IB and really enjoyed her time at NLCS.

This was the case in 2009 but I'm sure they still allow the girls carrying on after GCSE to choose their subjects without having to worry about timetabling issues.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Completely true. There is no 'pick one from column A' type procedure. DD1 will be doing IB and they don't mind if only one girl opts for a particular subject. She'll be getting one-on-one teaching in one of her choices and is over the moon about it. Lots of girls are doing the subject at A level but DD1 had enough of a crisis narrowing down to just 6 subjects and the Theory of Knowledge component is a huge attraction for her. The IB is fantastic for girls who are all-rounders. Among DD1's friends, the most popular choices for IB and A level seem to be maths, English, physics and chemistry- no gender bias! Hurrah!
Just another thing to add. As with all schools, ask how many leave at 6th form, why and where they go. Some smaller girls' schools loose a lot of girls for co-ed private or CSG.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is a good question. How many girls leave NLCS for sixth forms elsewhere? DG
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Very few. A couple go to Westminster every year. 2 from last year went to UCS. If they want to do English (as discussed on an earlier thread), they have to do Pre-U so Westminster is the only option. A handful of DD1's friends went to open days and all but one thought the grass was far less green. Her co-hort seems to have a very high take-up rate for the IB.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We have a few at DAO sixth form. DG
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

shootmenow wrote:DD1 will be doing IB and they don't mind if only one girl opts for a particular subject. She'll be getting one-on-one teaching in one of her choices and is over the moon about it. Lots of girls are doing the subject at A level but DD1 had enough of a crisis narrowing down to just 6 subjects and the Theory of Knowledge component is a huge attraction for her. The IB is fantastic for girls who are all-rounders. Among DD1's friends, the most popular choices for IB and A level seem to be maths, English, physics and chemistry- no gender bias! Hurrah!
Sounds great, NLCS stands out for really high IB results at UK level but I hear most Cambridge colleges still require very high IB scores, 41+?
How much does the NLCS careers department help on decisions on IB vs A Level vs Cambridge Pre U? And are the fees the same irrespectively of choice?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now