ISEB exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Macca7

ISEB exams

Post by Macca7 »

Can anyone tell me the level of difficulty of these exams at 11+ - compared to HABs please?

Thanks
Yummiemummie

Re: ISEB exams

Post by Yummiemummie »

Hi there, you can buy past pears from the ISEB. I would buy a pack.
Also bear in mind that the senior school marks the paper, and sets the level required for entry, so it depends which school you are applying for.
Good luck!
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

just going on what is available on line - it seems that ISEB maths is easier. English probably the same.

I would think ISEB is a good place to start though in terms of past papers practise before moving on to other indie school papers, ending with HABS papers which I think are the hardest.
superdifey

Post by superdifey »

Personally we found the Merchant Taylors and Manchester Grammar papers harder than Habs Boys (DS agreed!) If your child can get around 60-70% in the Manchester papers, they should be on track for any independent school. He also found the City Boys the hardest English paper. Hope that helps!
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

interesting view from boys schools. I was comparing to papers from girls school. Off to check City Boys website now! :)
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

If you need to stretch them further in Maths, try the St. Paul's maths sample papers. They are on par with the MGS papers
Macca7

Post by Macca7 »

Thanks for your replies - very helpful
JSN

Post by JSN »

superdifey wrote:Personally we found the Merchant Taylors and Manchester Grammar papers harder than Habs Boys (DS agreed!) If your child can get around 60-70% in the Manchester papers, they should be on track for any independent school. He also found the City Boys the hardest English paper. Hope that helps!
I know MGS well, pass mark is about >50-60% (depending on the cohort) on paper 2 maths , you could also order Withington girls' school past papers from their web-site paper 2 even harder then MGS paper 2 , a mixture of reasoning and maths -at the same level as St Pauls I would say. papers 1 MSG at standard state 11 plus level need to be scoring >> 85% more like > 90% at least for top tier Indies
BTW no answer sheet to WGS papers but I think I may have some maths answer sheets I have worked out myself and I would be happpy to e-mail to you if you want( if I can find them ?)
sorry no english model answer sheet , not my thing!
NorthLondonMummy

Post by NorthLondonMummy »

JSN wrote:
superdifey wrote:Personally we found the Merchant Taylors and Manchester Grammar papers harder than Habs Boys (DS agreed!) If your child can get around 60-70% in the Manchester papers, they should be on track for any independent school. He also found the City Boys the hardest English paper. Hope that helps!
I know MGS well, pass mark is about >50-60% (depending on the cohort) on paper 2 maths , you could also order Withington girls' school past papers from their web-site paper 2 even harder then MGS paper 2 , a mixture of reasoning and maths -at the same level as St Pauls I would say. papers 1 MSG at standard state 11 plus level need to be scoring >> 85% more like > 90% at least for top tier Indies
BTW no answer sheet to WGS papers but I think I may have some maths answer sheets I have worked out myself and I would be happpy to e-mail to you if you want( if I can find them ?)
sorry no english model answer sheet , not my thing!
PLease can you send the above answers too...
JSN

Post by JSN »

I'll have a root around in my well organised study and if I find them will post them on here for all to see.
BTW it may be worth buying the UKMT "ten years of maths challenges 1997-2006" in book form, junior level is excellent prep for top indies even intermediate level is useful for the top 1-2% up to question 20 or so , would not recommand the last 5 questions at this level for 11yr olds unless your child is some kind of maths prodigy, in which case why are you even bothering with any prep :lol: TBH intermediate level is probably overkill but my son enjoyed attempting them.
I should add when I mean 1-2% , I mean 1-2% of this rather self-selected cohort not the nation cohort , didn't want to panic anyone ! solid level 5a /6 is usually enough for all Indies except maybe Westminister School ,in a league of it's own IMO
1-2% would be in line for a very high close to 100% scholarships at top tier indies, I read somewhere for music scholarships candidates need to be level 6 distinction+ :shock: WHAT at 11yrs old that cannot be right ?