Interviews - What to expect?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HappyCow

Interviews - What to expect?

Post by HappyCow »

Interviews at the Independents, what should I expect?
Should I be preparing/coaching DS for the interview process.
He is currently at a small state school so will have no help from his school /headteacher.
Any tips are welcomed. Thank you.
Finchley mum

Re: Interviews - What to expect?

Post by Finchley mum »

yes. Do a few practice runs so your child gets used to speaking in a lucid way about their interests and about themselves generally . For example, "what do you like to do after school?", " why do you like playing the piano/violin/recorder/whatever?" This trial run allows them time to gather their thoughts so the actual interview is not the first time they have talked about themselves and so they will not feel awkward doing so. Its also ok to say they like watching tv, playing football with dad etc (but only after they have mentioned their many accomplishments...) Also you can check they are making eye contact and smiling and encourage them to do this . Most of the schools go out of their way to make it a pleasant experience as well.

City Girls say interviews are about weeding out the over tutored. So do not mention tutors! or how much tutor homework you do per week.

Some schools also interview the parents so be prepared for this as well. Less of an issue for an adult of course but I got into trouble with my DH for saying at one interview that I had no idea how clever my DD was and was hoping they would tell me (not selling my DD's accomplishments apparently). Never allowed to go on own to school interview after that.
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

Thank you v much, Finchley Mum
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which schools are you applying for? DG
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

Habs Boys, Merchant Taylor's & St Albans - possibly City
superdifey

Post by superdifey »

HappyCow, my son had interviews at Habs Boys, MTs and City. Three very different types of interviews. I wouldn't worry about doing too much preparation before the exam, as there is time in between receiving interview invites and the interview dates to just do a little work with him. TBH, I did very minimal interview practice with him. My attitude was that I wanted the schools to see the *real* him, not a prepped version, as then I would feel confident that he was right for the school if he was offered a place. He is naturally very articulate anyway, so I wasn't worried about him being able to express himself confidently and clearly. He did end up with offers from all three schools.
superdifey

Post by superdifey »

What I would add to my last comment, which is really helpful to do at this stage, is just talk to him about current affairs and get him to read the newspaper so he has a good idea about what is happening in the world from now. That way it is clear to them if he is asked about the news in an interview, that he is knowledgeable from a few months back, not just having crammed information in the last couple of weeks. My son always used BBC online. Also, to ensure he reads a good range of books, so again if he is asked about reading, he can discuss a selection of different types of books, genres etc. Again, this shows a long term love of reading. That is all I would do for now!
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

Superdifey - thank you for that. Well done to you & DS for getting those offers. What school did your DS choose?
Perhaps I am worrying prematurely but just don't want to end up in the situation where it comes as a surprise about interviewing.
Even if DS is fine in the interview - not sure I want to be interviewed!! Which is the case at some schools I believe.
Will take on board about increasing the range of books - fortunately he does keep up with current affairs - but have to keep him as open minded as possible.
Thanks, again.
superdifey

Post by superdifey »

We took Habs Boys - tough decision in the end I can tell you! I can't speak for St Albans, but of the others, Habs was the only one the parents were interviewed. I can honestly say that I believe if your DS is bright and articulate, then he will hold his own in an interview. There are a few questions you can prepare for, but I would focus on getting through the exams for now!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now