Nerves at interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Macca7

Nerves at interview

Post by Macca7 »

Has anyone tips to help overcome interview nerves? Child has lots to talk about but needs to quell nerves so that this can shine through.

Thanks
Daogroupie

Re: Nerves at interview

Post by Daogroupie »

Do lots of mock interviews with friends and family so they get used to talking about themselves. Video them doing it and play it back and pinpoint areas that could be better. The more they do the easier it would become and then at the real thing it will show that they are used to doing it. DG
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I agree with Daogroupie in principle, though not sure about the video, it won't do to overstress the negative.
We used this approach with DD some years ago, before her music scholarship assessment. We had workmen in at the time, and one day whilst they were on their lunchbreak I made her sing to them. The experience certainly helped with her nerves on the day, and I think she has forgiven me...
Loopy
Amber

Post by Amber »

Loopyloulou wrote:I agree with Daogroupie in principle, though not sure about the video, it won't do to overstress the negative.
We used this approach with DD some years ago, before her music scholarship assessment. We had workmen in at the time, and one day whilst they were on their lunchbreak I made her sing to them. The experience certainly helped with her nerves on the day, and I think she has forgiven me...
But have they?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

That all sounds to me like piling on the pressure and making a really big thing of it.

You could always try saying "Just be yourself" and relying on the people who interview dozens of children year in, year out, to know how to draw out a child.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I cannot imagine for a moment that the schools want classrooms stocked full of children who are completely confident at speaking to unknown adults, in unfamiliar surroundings...no one would get a word in edgeways. I would be a bit taken aback if they were all precocious in their manner, or churning out stepford children answers. They are 10 year old kiddies, not people being interviewed for jobs in the media.

To help with nerves treat them like children...smuggle tiny favourite cuddlies into their trouser pockets, just so they know they are there, promise them a kit Kat afterwards. As mike1880 says the interviewers will be adept at putting children at ease, and drawing out the answers they want...if they are not, they should not be working g at the school or on the board of governors.

Ask them to find out the eye colour of the interviewer and tell you afterwards...this should ensure they make eye contact at least once, oh and no sniffing....shudder, equip them with a clean hanky!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Amber wrote:
Loopyloulou wrote:I agree with Daogroupie in principle, though not sure about the video, it won't do to overstress the negative.
But have they?
Amber - on a day when I really needed a laugh, that made me guffaw!!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

:D
Really, you should have been there. Their reaction was something I shall never forget. Try to imagine the scene! Half a dozen lumbering oafs of muck-covered builders called from their sandwiches to the main hall, sat on assorted upright chairs facing the grand piano, and confronted with poor young DD attempting the likes of "Come into the garden Maud!". It was quite clear that the event was something the likes of which they had never, ever experienced before :D .
I do think they enjoyed it though.
That all sounds to me like piling on the pressure and making a really big thing of it.
Possibly so, but she did get a very good scholarship.
Loopy
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now