Whitgift School Entrance Exam 11+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Whitgift School Entrance Exam 11+

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, thank you, love to see it. I will pm you my email address if you have it electronically. DG
irisha

Post by irisha »

Yes, SPGS uses mix of Essential maths 7H and 8H for year 7. I am sure they use supplementary materials as well (especially for extension), but it seems to be the main book in many schools. SPGS, JAGS, Alleyns (they use the older edition), KGS, Emanuel, I think Old Palace does as well, can't quite remember.
JSN

Post by JSN »

maths is infinitely easier then reading and writing.
it's just practice :D
even an average child can get to solid level 5.
The secret to Indie maths like MGS ect is they tend to be very "wordy"
so the child needs to break down the blurb, the verbal bit into a non-verbal visualisation/diagram so the child understands what the nub of the question is, then use very simple level 5 maths to solve the problem.
simples! right up to Olympiad level
GOOD LUCK
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

irisha wrote:What I have done is sorted the trickier problems by type and aggregated from all available papers - and do them with DC by topic, so lots of practice with specific problem types.
Irisha, I looked at the SGPS papers and they are great. The Westiminster Under exam is mysterious in the sense that they do not publish past papers, but emphasise problem solving. I imagine it would be very much like the Section Cs in SGPS or if not at least the latter would be the sort of thing (not covered at school) which we should do lots off.

Do you know of any other schools that have those equally challenging papers or sections?

[I do find such great difference in quality between the schools. And its hard to sift through and find the gems.]
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

The maths paper on the City Boys website is quite challenging, Manchester Grammar, the Perse School and the North London Consortium papers are also good.
Surreymum73

Post by Surreymum73 »

Have applied to whitgift at the last minute for 11+ entry my DS seems to be having no problem with the maths &non VR but will struggle with his English and VR am trying everything including daily practice on the VR app on my I pad and going over words and meaning with him he is averaging between 70-85% on bond papers am wondering when the papers are marked does anyone know is it a total score so ie if you get great marks on maths and Non VR could it pull your marks up and compensate for an average mark on the other subjects ? what is the magic pass mark number for whitgift ? DS y6 is currently working at 5b for maths but hoping to entered for L6 in may stats and 4a for English so in the squeezed middle I think , bright but not quite bright enough ...

Just an idea if your sitting the exam and have to travel Have booked a hotel the night before the test just because the traffic to Croydon is a nightmare and I want DS to arrive calm and ready rather than spending 2 hours in a car with his frazzled mother south croydon travel lodge is £28 at the moment but not for long I bet !!! Free parking and its about 10 mins away from the school.
irisha

Post by irisha »

ClappedOutMum,

For similar difficulty/problem solving elements, I would use Manchester Grammar School papers, 2nd paper (1st one is mostly covering the bases, although some nice problems as well). This is downloadable form website. Then, Withington School for Girls - they have 4 papers for sale (£12.50) - you have to call the school and order by phone. Oundle School 11+ papers have section B which is also more problem solving oriented. Also last problem on King's College School 11+ paper (King's digit). This is in terms of short-cuts.

North London Consortium papers will each have 3-6 nice problems, but the issue is that they are not always at the end - some of them buried in the middle and with 13 papers to go through it's a bit time consuming. Although all the last problems on these papers are the "trickier ones", just not all the "tricky " ones are at the end.

I wouldn't say Perse School papers as a whole are that difficult, but they do have some nice snippets and since they are only 45 minutes they are great practice papers when you want to do a couple of subjects in a day/have other commitments - for example, I wouldn't sit down my DD to a North London Consortium paper every day, 75 min is just too much IMHO and it's got a lot of basics.
JSN

Post by JSN »

WGS past maths is at the same level as St Pauls IMO
I was going to post answer sheet for the maths paper 2 , but realised that the answers are more than 4 yrs old so little use to present parents sorry :(
JSN

Post by JSN »

please , please could the moderators put a sticky on with regards to the free on-line past/sample Indie papers plus those that can be bought from individual schools e.g WGS.
We seem to be having the the same conversation again and again !
maybe Daogroupie/irisha could do one for us , seems to know whats she/he is talking about!
and give some model answers?
We could all send her/him some free samosas :D
or would that conflict with epe commercial interests? everyone is entitled to living ! which I would fully understand.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now