Nlcs exam today

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

AR1890

Re: Nlcs exam today

Post by AR1890 »

I too would be interested in the numbers applying, how many get called back? I think I heard it was around top 200 or something like that.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Yes I'd be interested to know approx numbers. Any ideas shootmenow?
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

I only know that the Deputy Head told us that we should thank our lucky stars that our girls did the exam last year as they had record numbers of applicants this year. I know that won't help you to sleep until you hear about round 2. Sorry.
I can say that the interviews aren't scary. All the girls come out smiling. They won't be grilled and if they think they were asked something they couldn't answer, they shouldn't panic. It really isn't about getting it right. Encourage them to eat the biscuits even if they feel too nervous and take the opportunity to chat to the year 7s and ask questions. Nobody is watching them- it will just help them relax before they are called in. Parents, the mums and dads serving coffee and tea are there so that YOU can ask questions. Nothing gets repeated back unless it's a concern over how some part of the process can be made less scary. That's your chance to ask stuff that you might really want to know and not feel comfortable about asking of the people who will decide your DD's fate for the next 7 years. There are no dumb questions! BTW, nobody will interview you parents. Nobody cares what you wear or what car you drive or where you were educated or where you live or how you speak. And you should eat the biscuits too.
Mymble

Post by Mymble »

shootmenow, thank you for that reassurance! Nice to know that, for those who do get through to stage 2, it won't be too scary. Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hello Middlesex mum. In the past, around 700 have applied each year. Not all of them sit the exam at NLCS as the rules state that the exam may be taken at any school in the consortium, so you can't go by the numbers 'at the gate' yesterday.

About 200 are called for interview for 60 - 70 places.

It looks like the numbers are higher this year, based on shootmenow's comment.
Humbug

Post by Humbug »

We've been hearing that the numbers are higher every year for as long as I've been paying attention. There's always the speculation that maybe it's the same number of children applying to multiple schools, but as state schools are running out of space I suppose it makes sense that the pressure for places in all school sectors has gone up. Quite scary.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I can't decide if the figures make me feel better or not!

I suppose 200 out of 700 to be called for interview are not bad odds. How do they whittle down 200 to 60/70? Just on the interview and school report or will they still be looking at exam marks? If a girl didn't do brilliantly on one of the papers but interviewed well could she be offered a place?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

The marks will decide who is called for interview - they'll call the top 200 or so. After that it is down to the interview itself - the marks no longer count, except for the very highest and these students will be offered scholarships.

As long as your DD has scored enough to be interviewed, she has as much chance as everyone else.
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

DD loved the experience. It helped that half the girls in her room were from her school and she knew some of the others from netball. She came out really happy - specially with the kitkats and juice. She thinks she did well. Cannot read much into it but she seems to self assess better than back in Sept.

Overall the organisation was good but the am drop off was held up by school coaches (not sure if the timing could be avoided but we certainly did not know and it would have been easier to park elsewhere and walk her to the school). For collection, there was a long queue.

Habs next, good that they will all have a few days to relax... Anyone else doing Habs and St Albans?
Humbug wrote:We've been hearing that the numbers are higher every year for as long as I've been paying attention. There's always the speculation that maybe it's the same number of children applying to multiple schools, but as state schools are running out of space I suppose it makes sense that the pressure for places in all school sectors has gone up. Quite scary.
Not all schools are feeling that. There's one indie in Northwood that is merging with another. Perhaps no similar issues in Edgware. Anyway, the gaps in school places are mostly inner city and for primary stage.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

SHerts, Were you going in via Canons Drive? The coaches should have been and gone by the time you arrived. Glad the DDs were happy and relaxed. Try not to stress about the odds. Most will sit for several schools and they can only take one place each.
A tip about Habs- We were left sitting in our cars for an hour after the stated collection time last year awaiting instruction. Don't bother. Just go to the dining hall.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now