Nlcs exam today

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SHertsDad

Re: Nlcs exam today

Post by SHertsDad »

shootmenow wrote: If you have older sibs at other schools and you want an offer from Habs, at interview you have got to swear on all that is holy that Habs is your first choice. Quite sensibly IMO, they don't seem to waste offers on girls who will follow older sisters into competitor schools.
Sounds like they do not like people that choose the best school for each child. So if you accept NLCS for your first girl, you have to be certain that NLCS will fancy your next one as you are out of choices.... But this is the same as a job interview. There's always the "will you take the offer?" (even without much detail on the offer). How could you reply with "I may not" :lol:
shootmenow wrote:
NLCS used to give 2nd round parents 5 mins with the Head to ask questions but don't anymore because it gave the impression that the school was checking the parents out. I'll repeat this for the sake of clarity - they do not care if you are Wayne and Waynetta, it's your DD that interests them. They offer places to girls they want and where the siblings go is not factored in (including older sibs already at the school unless it's a tie break).
When you mean 2nd round, you mean parents with a girl already at the school?
Mymble

Post by Mymble »

At St Albans, best is to drop off while driving through (will need to check the notes to see what they advise). For collection, I'd say the best is to park far away - the school has virtually no parking spaces...
The letter doesn't give a 'drive-through' option for drop-off - just suggests parking in adjacent streets. Just wondered if anyone with DDs already at the school knows what the parking restrictions are like around the area?
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

SHerts,
I meant at interview stage (2nd round). The Head comes to say 'Hello' while all the parents and girls are waiting to be called but no member of staff will meet privately with parents. We found that some schools want you to give a compelling reason why you would send DD2 to a different school than DD1.
The most competitive schools do not over-offer by much. Habs and NLCS have both been stung in the past by having too many acceptances. This means that all is not lost if your DD is on the reserve list.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I have a dd at St Helen's. Does this mean I'm unlikely to get a Habs offer for dd2 unless I manage to persuade them I prefer them over St Helens?
sillymum

Post by sillymum »

Mymble wrote:
At St Albans, best is to drop off while driving through (will need to check the notes to see what they advise). For collection, I'd say the best is to park far away - the school has virtually no parking spaces...
The letter doesn't give a 'drive-through' option for drop-off - just suggests parking in adjacent streets. Just wondered if anyone with DDs already at the school knows what the parking restrictions are like around the area?
Hi Mymble, my dd is in y8 at STAHS. I would not suggest, just to drop your dd off. You would need to go into (I think) the sports hall and register her. As for parking, I would try and park in Avenue Road, parallel with Townsend ave or in the Tesco multi story, just behind M&S (St. Peter's St). You can park in Townsend Avenue after 9.30 and before 3. Hope that helps.
Last edited by sillymum on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

The schools talk to each other, SHerts. I think. This only seems to come into play if your DD2 is right for the same top tear as your DD1. It's strong anecdotal evidence based on lots of girls over several years. I know plenty of families where DD1 had been at a less academic school (in no way a put down- some girls need smaller, more nurturing, less perceived pressure to shine and all of the schools we discuss here send to Oxbridge) and DD2 is super bright and has got offers at top of the table schools.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

What I don't understand at Habs, if they've got all those acres of grounds, why do they pack the cars in round the back of the building so you have to wait hours to get out? There's no way I'll be out to pick dd3 up from her primary school so will have to make arrangements for her.
Mymble

Post by Mymble »

Thanks for the parking tips sillymum!
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

Middlesexmum wrote:What I don't understand at Habs, if they've got all those acres of grounds, why do they pack the cars in round the back of the building so you have to wait hours to get out? There's no way I'll be out to pick dd3 up from her primary school so will have to make arrangements for her.
Seems that the collection at Habs ran smoothly this year?
DD did not have the benefit of sitting in a familiar environment like at NLCS but it is probably fairer to be organised alphabetically.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Indeed. I was very surprised to hear students from prep schools saying they were in a lovely cosy room with all their friends from school at NLCS. That is very unfair on the singleton from a state school who is probably feeling overwhelmed enough as it is by all the girls who seem to know each other. At St Albans and Habs they create an small alphabetical group. At St Albans these groups all meet up in the Sports Hall before the exam under a friendly motherly older girl from the school who chats to them, introduces them to each other and takes them over to the exam. This is much better than having to stand around by yourself watching other girls in groups who seem to have known each other for years. Much better to split the preps up and put them with different girls so they can get to know different girls instead of hanging around with the ones they already know. Both my dd's had a lovely day at Habs, St Albans and City. I was glad they did not sit at NLCS when I read about the preps all being together. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now