MTS Exam Today - Some boys called out for interview today...

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rob Clark

Re: MTS Exam Today - Some boys called out for interview toda

Post by Rob Clark »

Taylors is a day school, so surely if it would be too far for a boy to return for an interview, it would be too far for him to make the journey on a daily basis should he get in?
manicmum

Post by manicmum »

Just taken a look at this thread and I do wonder if the boys that were 'taken out' have families who are re-locating hence the need for interview and exam on the same date.

I wish all those who've sat their exams all the very best success and look forward to welcoming you to the school. I have a DS who's in year 8 and he is loving it there. :) He's busy doing all the activities he loves. Then with my parent hat on he's getting on with his work!!!

Great to hear that HolyCow son had a positive view of the logistics of the day. When my DS went through admissions and then started it was a really smooth and well managed transition. The care that the staff and teachers take of the boys I have to say is above and beyond the call of duty. If you have any questions then feel free to ask and I'll answer any that I can.
nups19

Post by nups19 »

Hi manicmum,

My son had his interview at MT last week..he has taken Habs boys too..I think he will be offered a place at both schools..I ams till unsure which one should I go for? Any thoughts?
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

Nups19,
It is good to see you feeling confident about the interviews.
My DS has had both too, I am less sure though....difficult to know exactly what the schools are looking for.

At MTs, DS felt the interviewer tried to sell the school a bit too much - DS comments to me: 'it's an interview not supposed to be an advert for the school'. Interesting perspective I felt.
At the end, Interviewer was very insistent that we came back to see the school and made a point of telling us not to look at League tables - very odd. He did do the same I was told by another parent. A bit unfair I think and can give boys false hope.

HABs - do you know how many they interview and how many offers are made.
Hoping we have a choice at the end....!

Manicmum - useful to have your insight as a fairly new parent. Thank you. More questions once we know where we are....!
nups19

Post by nups19 »

My DS is hung up on MTS, though his Habs interview went better. I think they interviewed 250 boys and will offer about 170 places. if you have a choice, which one will you go for?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If you are equally happy with the schools which you choose really depends on DS and you - most people choosing between 2 (or more) schools will develop a preference for one school over the other, often just to do with the atmosphere, the staff, the travel times, sport, lunch ... almost anything can sway the way you feel.
Other way of looking at it is to say

"which school would you be most pleased to be offered and which would you be most disappointed not to get?"
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

HappyCow wrote:I think they interviewed 250 boys and will offer about 170 places. if you have a choice, which one will you go for?
So only half the boys that took the exam were offered interviews....I am pleased for DS!

Which would I choose - prob MTs but DH & DS both prefer Habs.

I keep hearing how the two schools are very different but have as yet to find out what these differences are.
I know a few boys who have now left the respective schools and both seem equally charming, polite, have achieved well and enjoyed their time at school!

I think I will just wait for now and see what happens in a few weeks......
4leaf

Post by 4leaf »

Hi all
Just read through these posts and wanted to add my dd is applying for London day school and we are overseas. Dd was taken out after her written tests for her interview ( as were 6 others from overseas). Don't think just b'cos it's a day school that there won't be overseas applicants :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Habs has a separate day for overseas applicants so they can have their exam and interview on the same day. DG
nups19

Post by nups19 »

Happy cow..Yes, just wait and watch...lets see what happens..these are not easy decisions by any means. But its reassuring to know that boys from both schools are thriving ...:)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now