Eltham College 2014 Enterance Exam Update

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

denz82

Eltham College 2014 Enterance Exam Update

Post by denz82 »

My DS sat the Eltham College Entrance Exam on the 6th of Jan 2014, does anyone have any ideas on:

1. When am I likely to find out the outcome?
2. How many students get selected for the class room activities?
3. And those who are selected for the class room activities, how many are made offers?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards
Denz82
anbar

Re: Eltham College 2014 Enterance Exam Update

Post by anbar »

Hi Denz82,

If you check Eltham College's website under senior school admissions, it says:

"Shortly after the 11+ entrance examination day, a significant number of candidates will be invited to attend an afternoon of lessons. This will give us an opportunity to judge their aptitude for our teaching and learning style and for them to get a real foretaste of what it is like to be a pupil at Eltham College."

From what I have read from other threads and discussions, being invited to afternoon lesson at Eltham, is an indication that ones DS has done relatively well in the exam. From my observations there were around 250 boys that sat the exam. Furthermore, if Eltham follows other schools recruitment process they would likely invite the top 50% of the children back and make offers slightly over their needed intake (as parents might choose other schools). I hope that helps.

All the best
Anbar
denz82

Post by denz82 »

Thanks Anbar,

For your response, i asked the headteacher how many boys applied and he did mention around the 250 mark. As its one of our top choices really anxious and nervous about the outcome.

If anyone has heard anything, will be grateful for an update?

By the way how did your ds find the day?

Many thanks
Denz82
anbar

Post by anbar »

Hi Denz82,

Just to let you know I emailed Eltham Yesterday and got a reply, please see discussion below:

---
Email Sent
---

Dear Ms Walker,

RE: Childs Name

Hope your fine and well, my son sat the 11 plus entrance examination for Eltham College on the 7th of January 2014, on your website, it stipulates that:

"Shortly after the 11+ entrance examination day, a significant number of candidates will be invited to attend an afternoon of lessons."

Has these invites gone out? If not, when are they likely be to posted. I assume that those that are invited to attend an afternoon of lessons are the boys likely to be considered for places and thus, are more likely receive offers on the 13th of February 2014.

I hope that is ok and I eagerly await your reply.

Kind Regards

---
Reply Received
---

Dear Parent,

Thank you for your email. Mrs Range, Headmaster’s PA, is hoping to start sending out these letters in the post at the end of this week and they will be staggered over a few days. I hope this helps; I know this is an anxious time for parents.

Mrs E F Walker
Admissions Officer

So from my calculations if you don't hear anything by Friday 31st of January, you should email Eltham College to double check your ds's outcome. They will nevertheless post all outcomes by 13 of February.

With regards to my ds he ran out of time on some of the papers but he really enjoyed the day and said the school was amazing at making him feel at ease. Fingers Crossed.

Regards
Anbar
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now