Pre-tests for selective girls schools - no prep?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
irisha

Re: Pre-tests for selective girls schools - no prep?

Post by irisha »

Also, I don't know if your state school does CATs (which is GL Assessment) on computer - our prep does once or twice a year and that gives girls an experience of doing this on a computer.

Another thing to consider is to sit a pre-test at several schools, starting with something that is not first choice. My daughter did CEM test twice and found it much easier the second time (obviously, the questions don't repeat, but she was familiar with the format and knew what to expect).

ISEB introduced a new computer pre-test (developed by GL assessment) and that one is supposed to be sat at a prep only and results shared with any school you are applying to.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about specific prep - general English/Maths prep will be fine and she will get an offer if the school thinks that boarding life suits her and she will make a contribution. And they don't necessarily have a type. Girls who got to Wycombe from our prep are not the scarily bright SPGS type - more the normal bright, but real "joiners in", which for example by DD isn't. I think it's the joining in element they test the most - will the girl take full opportunity of what the school has to offer or sit and sulk in her room/spend all the time in the library reading (metaphorically speaking).
Cranleigh

Post by Cranleigh »

Thank you. I think they did do some form of CAT in Y4 and will ask for the results (to answer your question). This will give me another benchmark I guess if I enquire.

Sounds very sensible re: not doing 'first choice' pre-test first but sometimes there is a set date and that's that? You have no choice in the matter.

ISEB computerised pre-test currently only aimed at 13 plus entrants (but taken earlier obviously). I think that eventually that's the way everything will go.

Very interesting re: comments on Wycombe. Their results suggest they take only the 'scarily bright'? Especially if all/most of the Y7 intake stay to A'level? I have heard similar so I do know what you mean that said. SPGS does seem a world apart and I know Wycombe is sometimes the alleged second choice for those that don't make it in to SPGS (although contemplating boarding can't be a decision most would take lightly)?

How much less competitive is the entry for the selective girls' boarding schools compared to say NLC schools?

Someone mentioned Benenden upthread so how many would sit for exams there (for example, approximately) for Y7 entry for how many places compared to say Channing or Habs girls etc?
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

My DD is at Wycombe. I wouldn't send a girl there unless she is naturally bright, motivated, relaxed and will get the most out of what's on offer. For my DD it has been ideal. First class teaching, wonderful extracurricular, plenty of fun with friends and no hideous day school commute- unlike my other DC :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now