Don't discuss format of Habs girls until after back up date

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tabasco

Re: Don't discuss format of Habs girls until after back up d

Post by tabasco »

Daogroupie wrote:I think there still is a different cut off. DG
I agree. Unlike Grammer Schools you don't get a score from the entrance exam and there is also interview and headteacher report and family circumstances etc. All internal candidates who apply and get a reasonable result would probably all get a place?
SR1

Post by SR1 »

Hmm, not received that holding email from Habs yet, other mums have though...trying not to read too much into that ie rejection in the post tomorrow.... :roll:
Anyone else not received it?
SHertsDad

Post by SHertsDad »

Habs do not guarantee places for all of their prep. Not all would be able to do well in their secondary school.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

interviews are out now (so it seems) can this format be open for discussion.
2015 sitting here
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

No email here yet. What time did everyone get theirs?
jadsima

Post by jadsima »

Middlesexmum wrote:No email here yet. What time did everyone get theirs?

A couple of hours ago but I gather people started receiving it much earlier today. Its awful waiting but I wish you the best of luck, I'd imagine they'll probably still be sending emails over the next couple of days - maybe.
Radlettmother

Post by Radlettmother »

I wondered whether anyone could please give me some idea what this new format was? I have been helping my daughter prepare based on the old papers available on Habs boys site as suggested by the school, but if the format has changed perhaps this is no longer appropriate.
Thanks for your help.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I had an interesting discussion recently with a mother who has a current Year 6 dd at Habs girls and is transferring to their senior school in September.

Apparently the prep school girls did lots of practice papers at school but they were not allowed to take any of the material home, AND were told not to share the information with anyone even their parents.

Personally I would have been furious if my child was encouraged to be secretive from their own parents. It's appalling of the school to put 10/11 year old girls in this position.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Radlett Mother, did Habs girls actually tell you to use the Habs boys papers as preparations for their exams? Habs Maths probably ok but Habs English is too easy, I use DAO , Manchester Grammar and North London Consortium and that got the places this year. Also Habs boys 13 plus papers. DG
Radlettmother

Post by Radlettmother »

Hi there,
Yes, they did, however that was about a year ago, possibly before they knew the format was changing, when I went on a visit to the school. I can't honestly remember if that was just the maths they told me, or English too, though. I was told that officially there are no practice papers, but (and here the teacher gave me a look) some people find it useful to look at the past papers on the boys website. However, if it has all changed perhaps I am wasting my time!