HABS BOYS EXAM

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worriedad

HABS BOYS EXAM

Post by worriedad »

My son would appear this exam next yr...just wanted reviews from yest exam....was maths similar to practice papers? were there more verbal q than non verbal?..any tips?

worrieddad
Finchley mum

Re: HABS BOYS EXAM

Post by Finchley mum »

I think the exams were hard with a fair amount of trick questions - I say this mainly because from what my son did not say about the exams! Still, Habs organised it well and all the boys looked very relaxed when they came out and it was not a stressful experience at all. DS says he does not mind sitting City exams on Monday now. Spoke to the headmaster while we were waiting for pick-up - he said around 550 boys took the exam and they would aim to interview around 320 as they know the exams are not the full story about a boy's potential at the school.

I think 550 is low by the way. Clearly a lot of boys who obtained places at the state schools they preferred (QE Boys etc) did not bother to apply at all which is very different from previous years.
worriedad

Post by worriedad »

Thanks for the update!!!

worriedad
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

VR/NVR paper - there seemed to be just a small amount of NVR. There were a few numerical reasoning questions too. It was quite tight on timing.

English - comprehension - according to DS was not too bad, the extract was from the beginning of a book - which he felt made it easier. Although did miss out 2 questions as he was unable to do them.

Finchley mum - DS was relaxed when he came out, he didn't know anyone else either but was still quite contented. The traffic was horrendous but it was military style operation!
Finchley mum

Post by Finchley mum »

Interesting to see how the City experience compared to Habs. DS said that it was less organised and he got lost twice between exams - Habs had more people to follow around from one room to the other so it did not happen there. and more chaotic for me at pick up - but they did give out free tea and kitkats so I am prepared to overlook that.

He also thought the exams were harder! But again, very friendly boys (met one on tube back who reassured me that "loads" of boys went from Finchley and my DS would never have to travel to school on his own). So lets wait and see..
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Yes pick up was rather manic! There must be a better way to organise that. DS said it wasn't easy but not awful. Fingers crossed here too.
learnround

Post by learnround »

Has anybody had an invitation for an interview at Habs boys?
HappyCow

Post by HappyCow »

learnround wrote:Has anybody had an invitation for an interview at Habs boys?
Hi Learnround,
Yes, we have received a letter.
Hope you get to hear soon. I really hate waiting.
learnround

Post by learnround »

Hi HappyCow,
Congratulations to you and your DS,
Thankfully we got our letter on Saturday. I was just wondering why nobody was posting about Habs boys results.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now