St Albans boys and girls results out today

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JustADadHere

Re: St Albans boys and girls results out today

Post by JustADadHere »

I went back and took a look at the calendar on St Albans' web page and it looks like there were five second round sessions (one on Wednesday, two each on Thursday and Friday). If each were 30 boys, that would be 150 total. If one of the sessions didn't happen - that would be 120, which is right where I would want it! :D

The news of 110 total asked back makes me feel very positive. Perhaps I misunderstood what the staff member was saying when I talked with her when picking up my son. I thought it was a bit odd that 180 would be asked back from a pool of 240 - and like DG said, how would they separate the 60 or so based on group activity?

To be honest, I am so proud of my son that he was even asked back. I am so anxious for 21 Feb, though! Good luck to all.
bright star

Post by bright star »

Hi there, the wait seems so long at this stage, I can't believe that I am wishing away the next week or so (even the half term)!

To add to what has gone before on the process, my DS mentioned over the weekend that during his sessions a couple of boys were taken out for "maths interviews". I assume (but could be wrong) that they might have been borderline on the maths paper? At any rate, just relieved that it wasn't DS! Maths isn't his favourite subject.
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

Clearly these schools have a strong local appeal.

Does anyone know if the planned change of headship at STAHS is likely to make the school more inclusive to girls of all religions and none? How well would suit it suit an independently minded free thinker? Would her views be valued?
SR1

Post by SR1 »

Pabrighton, interesting question. Need someone who is already a parent at SAHS to comment. I know that Mrs Brown is from SPGS which is according to the website "a school which fosters independence and individuality, St Paul’s is managed with a light touch and relationships are respectful yet relaxed. There are few rules, no uniform and no house system". Not sure how that gels with St Albans strict religious affiliations. Would be good to know a bit more about the new headmistress as well if there are any SPGS parents out there who know her?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

St Alban's girls is not strict in that way at all. I had to actually tell some Y8 parents that it was a Church of England school, they had no idea! There is no reason for any girl to feel she would not be welcomed from whatever background she came from. But the preps do total more than half the intake and they have been together since they were 4. They split them up as much as possible between the 4 classes but it still means that each class is over 50% prep who have all known each other a long time. DG
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

Daogroupie wrote:St Alban's girls is not strict in that way at all. I had to actually tell some Y8 parents that it was a Church of England school, they had no idea! There is no reason for any girl to feel she would not be welcomed from whatever background she came from.
Very interesting how parents would not notice... Does anyone know how many services everybody attends in a year? I also thought I read somewhere that the Chaplain joins the girls on school trips?
How valued would independent views be. One would expect parents that "do not notice it is a Church of England school" to assume Church of England values by default?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now