St Albans boys and girls results out today

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: St Albans boys and girls results out today

Post by Daogroupie »

I know boys who got Habs and not MTS. I would suggest you email Habs and ask for some feedback on which paper let him down as that will help you understand where he needs to focus for moving onto secondary school. I don't know that much about MTS as most of the boys in our area go for Habs and St Albans. I know three who sat, one got an interview and two did not. The Habs interview is like another exam compared to the St Albans one which appears to be like a jolly social event so if you were going to get one it is better to get St Albans. The weed out at interview at Habs is high as they interview 300 and make 100 offers. So you are a lot closer to an offer now than you would be if you were embarking on an interview at Habs. What day are you going to St Albans, I know some boys going tomorrow, Thurs and Frid. DG
JustADadHere

Post by JustADadHere »

My son was invited for an interview from St Albans for tomorrow. I must admit, I wasn't all that confident as he said he left off a few math and VR questions. He did say the English (which is his strongest subject and was based on a book he had read!) was really easy, so maybe that carried him. He had missed out on DAO (position is 250) and just barely missed on Parmiter's. We are extremely excited for tomorrow!
current

Post by current »

Thanks DG
so very helpful of you, I will email them as I think academically similar standard for Habs and Mts, if i am not mistaken?
My boy is going tomorrow for St Albans , fingers crossed !
Also how should he be dressed ? casual? or smart with a blazer et al..don't want to make a blunder here.

Glad that we are closer to getting a place at St A . Mts offers 215 interviews and about 100 are given offers and they expect 60 to accept.

Thanks again !
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

My natural instinct for interview is to avoid the very scruffy look (no jeans with rips or scruffy trainers) but no need to go the whole blazer route. Your son should feel comfortable. When my daughter went to interview she wore bright pink doc martin's which provided a useful ice breaker! To be honest she had no other smart shoes as our primary is non uniform. I know boys who went in holey converse and straggly hair and got offers, if you are a high scorer I doubt it will put them off. I was conscious of DC not feeling too dressed down next to the prep school blazers drowning in badges!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

He needs to look smart so that he can feel proud. I know boys going tomorrow so if you pm me you can look out for them.. Sorry to hear about you missing out on DAO especially if you are strong on English. Would love to know what the text was at St Albans, please pm me as there may still be boys to sit. I hope that you both enjoy the day and do well. The boys I know are very very excited about it. It is a wonderful school and boys soar there. I don't know any parents there who are not absolutely delighted with it. DG
JustADadHere

Post by JustADadHere »

For DAO, he got thrown by the extra pieces of paper - they weren't lined, so he said he didn't feel right in using them for the free write. Oh well. I don't think he did so hot on the maths, either.
Angelcake

Post by Angelcake »

Ds is also going tomorrow. A friend's ds went in his uniform today as he went to school before and after but said there was only one other boy in uniform. We were just going for the decent trousers and jumper option.
current

Post by current »

Thank you for the valuable advice everyone..it has been very helpful!

Best of luck to everyone out there !
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Angelcake, that other boy in uniform was probably mine! He went to school before and after as well.

(PS I've just registered here today and I'm chuckling at the fact that to make sure you aren't a spambot they make you answer some sort of verbal reasoning question. Very appropriate...)
JustADadHere

Post by JustADadHere »

Just got back from the day in St Albans. My son had a great time. As an FYI, there were 30 boys in the afternoon group and 30 in the morning. 180 boys altogether were asked back.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now