Colet court entrance

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lefol

Re: Colet court entrance

Post by lefol »

You do not need to go into any details and equally you do not need to feel guilty for raising it because discrimination I the basis of class does happen and that's a fact and this simply happens across the board and is not a reflection on the school in question . It does not take a genius to work out that they include the occupation details on the form to find out if the parents can afford the fees in the first place , if it wasn't , they would not include it there. It may not be the deciding factor for admissions but could be quite persuasive as some indies are forever asking for fundraising options or gala dinners etc. the question should not put you off though ,your dd or ds should always try their best . If you can afford the fees and the indie does not want to take you because your dad is not Beckham , then their loss !

As stated previously , this is not reflective of this particular indie , but most have a reason for asking this and at parent functions , most of the noisy parents always ask what I do - it's usually the first question after where do you live ?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I have no idea where Colet court is, but here in Reading we have had a recent news article about how a father paid for his children to go to private school. Not sure what he put as his occupation, but I doubt it was "drug dealer".

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/ ... cs-empire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labyrinth2

Post by Labyrinth2 »

Absolutely Lefol- it is naive in the extreme to think that it is only a procedural question. Sometimes it's not something people are prepared to admit. Prince William and Prince Harry went to Eton and Prince William is now at Cambridge - say no more .... Oh yes and Dubya went to Yale.
ElizaBennett

Post by ElizaBennett »

Well, I will retire naively, then, not doubting that rich or influential parents can swing it in some schools, but still wondering what the definitive evidence is that children have been rejected from this particular school on the basis of parental occupation.

And by the way there are various estimates of Dubya's intelligence circulating on the internet; one, reported by the New York Times, based on SAT scores and military service intelligence testing, puts him above the 95th percentile, so perhaps not the brightest of the brightest at Yale, but still an intelligent man.
jeanniebueller

Post by jeanniebueller »

Maybe ask them what marks your DS got? Some schools will tell parents. And CC states that boys need at least 80% in the VR (for 11+ anyway).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I always reckon that when a man is asked for his occupation it is best to put:

GENTLEMAN

Which of course is correct and they can make of it what they will
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

Um, they almost all ask about what the parents do so that they can call on you, if need be, to help. Almost all schools have careers nights and arrange work experience. You know all that social capitol stuff?
Also, you might be asked to provide free services at some point. School needs a new building and you are an architect- expect a ring. Are you a solicitor- presto pro bono! Parents are a good resource.
I don't think they actually take your job into consideration at admissions or my DD'd friends' parents- taxi driver, sushi chef, nurse etc.- wouldn't have got a look in.
Labyrinth2

Post by Labyrinth2 »

If for those reasons then they could always ask once you have accepted a place. Also I think you make another point as to why they want solicitors etc- as you say - to utilise them - I never thought of that - but I have to admit I doubt they take children of bankers for example just so that they can take all the schools money and invest it in worthless mortgage backed securities:)
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I don't see the problem. It is, perhaps, natural that a school would like to have a parent with an occupation as "Peer of the Realm". That same school would probably be quite interested in one or two with "Dustman" too, to add to the general mix. Surely an independent school ought to be quite free to do as it wishes in this arena.

(nb the best schools don't simply ask for "Occupation" but for "Rank, profession or occupation" :wink: )
Loopy
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

(nb the best schools don't simply ask for "Occupation" but for "Rank, profession or occupation" )

AH...so that's how independents differentiate themselves now, is it? Via the initial application form. The "best" ones ask about rank and profession, the next best about occupation and the really rubbish ones just ask what job your parents do!!! :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now