If you are preparing for the North London consortium test..

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Londonmummy

If you are preparing for the North London consortium test..

Post by Londonmummy »

Using past papers. What type of score do you aim for ? Aside from the obvious 100%. Anyone know what type of hurdles rates schools have? Appreciate this changes per each test group but generally speaking.
Daogroupie

Re: If you are preparing for the North London consortium tes

Post by Daogroupie »

I have spent many many hours deciphering these papers over the past few months and in the English papers there is quite a difference in difficulty. I would assume that the pass mark in a paper like Arlington Rise would be much less than a more straight forward paper like George the Baboon. The top schools like City and NCLS would require a higher pass mark (though NCLS have said that they are coming out of the Consortium next year) A mark in the 70's would be enough to get you to interview and 60's for those school with less applicants. The Maths papers have some really hard questions at the end so I would say 60's and 50's for those. DG
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Just browsed through group 1 and 2 exams papers on line - and it struck me that group 1 maths looks easier than group 2. Is this correct ?
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

SleepyHead - this may be possible but it is unlikely as it is set by an external organisation.

At my school I was told you need around 90% or above to be sure of being called for interview. I don't think 70% is quite enough unless you perform outstandingly in the other paper.
Having said that, it does depend which school. Other, less selective schools may be looking for only 60%, or even 50%.

I don't think it is so much the marks as the ranking. For example if one year the top 100 all got over 95% they will be called, but if in another year the top 100 were between 80% and 90% they would still be called as the school needs pupils to run.

Best of luck to everyone.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

NLCS had 600 applicants this year and interviewed 200 for 60 places. They have probably made about 100 offers for those places as many students will have applied for more than one private school and others will be waiting to hear from HBS. City had 800 applicants and interviewed 300 for 60 places. They will also make about 100 offers. Of course 90% would get you an interview but I would not expect more than about 20 of those interviewed to have got 90% in the papers. 70's is much more likely. DG
Immortal Dreams

Post by Immortal Dreams »

I am just reporting what I was told - that they were looking for around 90%. I'm sure the numbers will vary from year to year and that those with 70% will stand a chance.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Londonmummy, We had the same challenge for the 2010 N L Consortium exams.

We just looked for improvement and then quality under time pressure. I used to guess at the mark schemes where none was indicated and this helped a bit. One of us would focus on the English and the other on the Maths. We deliberately did NOT try to aim at any particular percentage score.

We were less confident on the Maths, especially on the later, more investigative type of question; so our DD would do the Maths papers 'in competition' with me, us facing each other across the dining table. This certainly helped her with time management and drove her on. The English focus was on the basics of planning notes, imagination, paragraphs, spelling, punctuation and timing, finishing with a punch. (She has always been a passionate reader and an enthusiastic, fluent writer.)

We found many of the indy schools' past papers useful, both within the Consortium and beyond. The variety developed breadth and kept the practice interesting. Anyhow, she got a first round offer even though she found the Maths very hard, leaving 'loads of questions', she says, much harder than any other school's Maths. She found the English easy, much easier than the HBS English.(We did not apply to Habs.)

Another point of reference is that she is now at HBS, settled in the Top Set for Maths in Year 10 and regarded as a leading light in English.

Hope this helps. Do PM me if you want more detail on anything.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Jean.Brodie,

This is very helpful information. Well done to your DD!
Did you choose HBS over the indies (NLC) ?
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi berks_mum!

Yes, we chose HBS over NLCS and some other indies.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Jean.brodie,
Thank you for replying. If I am not being too nosy may I ask if you found HBS better than NLCS and other Indies academically or are there other reasons ?