City 10+ offer-Calling all parents who moved DS to start yr6

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Devotedmummy

City 10+ offer-Calling all parents who moved DS to start yr6

Post by Devotedmummy »

My Son has been offered a place at City for 10+. Very happy that he has a place, but now when we think about moving him in year 6 , worried whether we are doing the right thing! He is highly academic , has lots of friends at the current primary ,is very kind to everyone, but not the mature kind of a child compared to some of his peers in the current school. I would say his emotional quotient can be compared to that of a 8-9 year old while academically he is well ahead of his 10-11 year old peers.

He has to take just one train, but sending a 10 year old all alone is daunting at the moment. Don't know anyone doing this route.

Has anyone moved their DCs in year 6. What was your experience ? Would it affect them starting as the youngest in the school ?
Is City a great school ?
Last edited by Devotedmummy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aliportico

Re: City 10+ offer-Calling all parents who moved DS to start

Post by aliportico »

You could look at it that giving him a year of OG means he doesn't have to be pushed to grow up and be a sensible y6, setting an example, being responsible, etc :-) He gets an extra year of being in a well-looked-after small group, and then when more 11 year olds arrive the year after, he gets to be the one who's casually at home there :-) Sounds perfect to me!

Well done to him :-)
Devotedmummy

Post by Devotedmummy »

That's a really reassuring perspective aliportico. This could all be better for him after all, I think it is just me worrying unnecessarily.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Devoted Mummy- I feel so sorry that you were made to feel that you were letting his current school down regarding their SATs results! What a selfish Head!

You have made the decision and you made it for very good reasons. Well done to your DS for getting the place; he must be strong indeed, coming from a state school background to win one of the very few 10+ places. He has done very well and you must be very proud.

He will settle in quickly and start the rest of his compulsory education. Once he has settled into the journey he will feel more comfortable. Do it a few times with him so that he feels reassured. Don't worry.
Devotedmummy

Post by Devotedmummy »

Thanks for the kind words Kingfisher.
Last edited by Devotedmummy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millean

Post by millean »

I know of a parent who did this from a Private School

The kid really missed his friends who had a lot of fun in their final year together and was a reason we did not chose this route for our DS. Kids grow up more quickly going down this route.

If he got in at 10+, he stands a very good chance at 11+

Really depends on your child-does he like the current school, has he a lot of friends he will miss, is he mature enough to change schools now and commute, will he probably get in at 11+

Re the school, our first choice private but prefer grammar if we can

Good luck!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I have known a few kids do this (not at City though :wink: ) and they have settled in well to year 6 and enjoyed being part of a small group, they are treated as more grown up too being at "big school".

As for missing year 6, one was quite unhappy at his prep and another had simply outgrown it, another had a sibling moving to senior school too. People have all sorts of reasons for doing it. Not sure that missing year 6 at primary is such a crisis - particularly if it is very SATS focussed.
Devotedmummy

Post by Devotedmummy »

DS made lots of friends on the exam day at City. Until then he wasn't sure he wanted to go. After that day he started saying that he really wanted to go. Fingers crossed some of those boys have had offers and are going to accept them !.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments, We'll be sending off the acceptance to City. After all a bird in hand is ....
Last edited by Devotedmummy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I don't know anything about City Boys but I am very sorry that you - and, worse, your son - are being made to feel like this by your current school. I think that's not right.
I hope that he will be very happy at City! Good luck!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am horrified by the behaviour of your current school. They should be proud of him and be wishing him well for this wonderful opportunity. Of course he should go, he has won his place against heavy competition and will do really well and you are able to bypass the stress of 11 plus. Win, win win as far as I can see. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now